Is This Expensive I Think Its Cheap?

Decorating By natnay2006 Updated 11 Oct 2010 , 12:44am by natnay2006

natnay2006 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 9:40am
post #1 of 7

Im doing a 8inch chocolate mud covered in chocolate ganache covered in pink fondant with fondant ribbon spaced evenly covering cake and pink fondant balls all around the bottom.Also I am making a hannah montana figure out of modelling paste which will stand on top of the cake.Behind hannah montana will be purple and yellow stars on wire.At the front of the cake im going to write the childs name in fondant the same as hannah montana has for her name.Im charging $80.00 and the client says thats dear.It costs me $30.00 just for making and covering the cake in fondant.All the other stuff im not quite sure how much but id say no more than $10.00.Please just give me your idea of cost just for my piece of mind as im stressed out about it.

6 replies
Evoir Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 10:29am
post #2 of 7

Where are you? It depends where you live, what your operating costs are (ALL of them, including your wage/salary) and your desired profit margin.

For me, I'd be charging $150-$175. BUT this means NOTHING because we probably live on opposite sides of the world!!

indydebi Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 11:06am
post #3 of 7

I'll just say my price would be higher than $80.

Bskinne Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 12:35pm
post #4 of 7

Chocolate ganache? Fondant? Gumpaste? I'm not going to tell you what I'd charge but it'd be a lot more than $80. What's your normal Per serving cost for a fondant cake? Don't forget an upgrade charge for ganache. And then an additional cost for the figure. icon_smile.gif HTH

Gefion Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 12:48pm
post #5 of 7

$80 is cheap for the ingredient cost.

No need to stress over price - especially not over being too expensive. If the client doesn't want to pay $80, she is free to go somewhere else to get her cake. If she is fine with the price, then it's obviously not too expensive.

It will get easier, I promise.

costumeczar Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 7

You haven't charged too much, I agree with everyone else that for what you're providing, you've probably undercharged her!

natnay2006 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:44am
post #7 of 7

Thank you so much everyone.I feel so much better that ppl agree with me.I thought it was really cheap she was just on her facebook complaining that it was dear.She isnt a friend of mine I just have her daughter at the school I work at.I live in Australia so yeah prices are prob different.This is the first cake that im doing for cash all the rest have been for family.I know over her in Australia just for a figure alone I should be charging $130 thats what others charge for a figure with so much detail.Thank you so much for your advice I think I can finally feel good that im not ripping someone off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%