Need Advise About Airbrush Colors.

Decorating By kakedreamer1212 Updated 11 Oct 2010 , 3:15am by madgeowens

kakedreamer1212 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 6:21am
post #1 of 6

I'm pretty new to airbrushing so I would love to know why the color that goes on the cake doesn't always look like the one that is on the bottle. I was making a Nightmare before Christmas cake last night and decided to airbrush the tiers. The colors that ended up on the cake weren't exactly the colors that the bottle indicated. Do the colors go on buttercream different than fondant? Is there some kind of secret that I don't know? The photo is the first in my gallery. The middle tier was suppose to be sky blue and the other color was regal purple but when it went on, looked a lot like it was going to be kind of black, I actually added purple color mist spray on top of it to get a better purple. I could live with the purple but I didn't really like the blue. Any advise? Thank you. Oh by the way, I did put a light coat on first but it still wasn't looking right.

5 replies
madgeowens Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 6:46am
post #2 of 6

tell me about it..the red came out on my roses looked orange...so I experimented with a bit of vodka and mixed darker reds....hope it doesnt hurt my airbrush...but I cleaned it out good.....I am new with mine as well

what are you dooing about over spray and inhaling this stuff....it was all in my nose

kakedreamer1212 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 7:32am
post #3 of 6

Are you kidding me...it's all over my kitchen, everything I touch is blue and I did wonder if I should be wearing a mask of some kind. Wonder how others handle the airbrushing thing. I'm beginning to think that maybe I should take them outside to airbrush them. What a mess!!!! Thanks for the comment on the photo. The blue was suppose to be much lighter though. I was kind of dissapointed.

Evoir Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 10:46am
post #4 of 6

I have built a 'spray booth' from a used large cardboard box (like a big appliance box) that sits on a table with a turntable inside. It has a plastic drop sheet taped to the top and front like a curtain. However, overspray STILL gets out into adjacent rooms and settles on horizontal surfaces! I have decided recently to just suck it up and buy an extraction unit with filters.

WEAR A DUST MASK!!! That colour goes everywhere. Sure its not toxic, but it isn't good for you surely icon_smile.gif

I hope someone adds helpful comments about the colour mixing thing. I have had issues with copper/fleshtone, in that it turned out a ghastly orange pukey colour on fondant 'skin'.

kakedreamer1212 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 3:11am
post #5 of 6

Thank you for your reply. I am definately going to try the box idea and hopefully get more advise about the color issue.

madgeowens Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 3:15am
post #6 of 6

ok i am here to tell you boxes etc do not work.............I am going to look into the box with the filter system myself,its made by the same people who do the cake safe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%