Fondant Tearing & Dry.......need Help..cake Due Tomorrow

Decorating By KsCakes09 Updated 10 Oct 2010 , 6:53am by KsCakes09

KsCakes09 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 5:23am
post #1 of 7

I have never had this problem before....why would it be tearing? Its almost crumbly it seems. Its MMF.. I used a lot of color to get what I needed & it seemed like I used a lot of crisco in kneeding the color in. Would that be my problem? IF so how do I fix it??? don't have time to make a new batch of fondant.
I used the same batch of fondant on the top tier but it was left white & its went on beautifully..........what could be the problem. Please help I'm stressing out....Thanks

6 replies
madgeowens Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 5:31am
post #2 of 7

adding so much color is always a problem....I would go make a new batch or go buy wilton fondant at walmart, its actually much better then it used to be....

Misdawn Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 5:53am
post #3 of 7

Add more crisco and microwave the fondant. Iknow it seems coutnerproductive, but if you do it and microwave the fondant until it is almost liquid (as hot aqs your hands can stand it) it will come together nicely.
I do this all the time with my MMF.

kakedreamer1212 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 6:31am
post #4 of 7

I have had this problem so many times when I have to add a lot of color to the fondant, it somehow changes it and it tears. Makes me want to scream so I would also like to know how to deal with this problem. I made a 3-D football helmet one night that was a very dark blue and had so much trouble with the fondant tearing, I ended recovering the cake 4 times, ran out of fondant and had to make a 1 am. trip to Walmart.

fairmaiden0101 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 6:39am
post #5 of 7

I have had this problem when I add too much color or just too much crisco, it loses its elasticity and just breaks in pieces. I end up just rolling it out on a lot of PS and rolling it thicker than I normally would. Though now once I have the right consistency I never add any crisco except to very lightly cover the surface I am rolling it out on, makes life so much easier.

madgeowens Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 6:44am
post #6 of 7

I heard about wilton fondant being better tasting etc from sharon zambito (sugarshack) and so I tried it again, and I was pleasantly amazed hehe

KsCakes09 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 6:53am
post #7 of 7

I ended up making a new batch cause couldn't stand to waste any more time fussing w/ the old batch. The color wasn't exactly the same but very close. Used a lot less crisco too & seemed to make a huge difference w/ the texture. I used every last bit of ps I had in the house to make my new batch & thank God it was just right because its almost 3 am & I'm exhausted icon_smile.gif Thanks for all your suggestions. (I did save my old fondant & I'm going to try the microwave trick to see what happens for the future)

Quote by @%username% on %date%