Attaching Fondant?

Decorating By Hammonds Updated 10 Oct 2010 , 1:44am by Liz23

Hammonds Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 1:31am
post #1 of 3

What is the best method for attaching sucker sticks to the back of a fondant piece so that it will stand up on a cake? The Wilton books say to use royal frosting? Is there a better way that is also sturdy and will look nice? Is there a way to hide where you attached it? Thanks!

2 replies
Kitagrl Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 1:42am
post #2 of 3

Sometimes I use skewers or toothpicks slid up into the fondant piece when fresh, and let it dry that way.

But if your piece needs to be really thin...then yeah, royal icing or melted candy and then you just have to make sure your cake has a "back"...unless you are patient enough to make a second, matching gumpaste shape to "glue" to the other side...which I never am (patient enough) haha.

Liz23 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 1:44am
post #3 of 3

I prefer using melted chocolate as it dries quicker than royal icing and holds up really well. You can get the Wilton Melts in a variety of colors to match you fondant pieces. I tend to put it on pretty thick so it does show on the back side. I guess you could sandwich two pieces between the stick if it was important for the back side not to show.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%