Cake And Filling Taste Great Separate, But Weird Together

Decorating By tguegirl Updated 9 Oct 2010 , 9:48pm by pinkbox

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 2

Has anyone ever had this happen? I just made a cake that had vanilla WASC (omitted the almond extract), chocolate durable cake, raspberry buttercream, and chocolate ganache. I think all of the flavors together in one bit tasted good. Each cake and filling also tasted good on its own. However, when I tried just the chocolate durable cake with the raspberry buttercream, it tasted kind of weird together. The chocolate drowned out the raspberry so you couldn't really tell what it was.

How do you deal with this? Do you try each and every flavor combo together before offering them? I assumed that people just had a list of cake and a list of fillings, but this makes me rethink things!

FYI, the raspberry buttercream was Indydebi's buttercream with raspberry jam mixed in.

1 reply
pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 2

I have had that happen. For some reason...for me... raspberry... it doesnt work so well... so when I think of it with chocolate I think yuk. Maybe because each one is a very strong flavor. I wonder if you added coffee to your chocolate cake...it would balance the flavor of the raspberry. Im sorry I cant help you with the chocolate ....as I use raspberry with French Vanilla and white chocoalte truffle.

What I have done is compliled a list of my favorite combinations. And that is how I present it to my brides. I try to think traditional and throw in a few twists to get them to think outside the box.

ie, Peanut Butter Silk.... a delicious blend of peanut butter cake with layers of dark chocolate ganache and peanunt butter buttercream. (think peanut butter cup)

Traditional Wedding.... a white almond sour cream cake with layers of your choice of buttercream, strawberry or pineapple filling.

Mango Tango... a light and airy mango cake with layers of white chocolate truffle and mango buttercream...sure to make your tummy dance.

French raspberry... a french vanilla cake with layers of white chocoalte truffle and raspberry filling.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%