Quick Question

Decorating By melodyscakes Updated 13 Oct 2010 , 5:42pm by JanH

melodyscakes Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 9

I baked a fairly good sized tiered cake and covered it in fondant, then realized that I don't need it until next weekend. If it were covered in butter cream icing I'd wrap it really good and freeze it, but with the fondant I'm not sure if I can do that. any thoughts?

melody

8 replies
melodyscakes Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 3:44am
post #2 of 9

Anybody?

blissfulbaker Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 3:50am
post #3 of 9

You can not freeze fondant.

melodyscakes Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 4:13am
post #4 of 9

Thank you

all4cake Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 4:48am
post #5 of 9

Not to be disrespectful to blissfulbaker, but a fondant covered cake can, indeed, be frozen successfully.
freeze, wrap, replace in freezer until the day before needed. Then, remove from freezer early the morning before the day needed (or the night before the morning before needed...like a day and a half before) and remove wrap and place tier(s) in a box and place box in refrigerator for 8-12 hours. Remove box(es) from fridge and allow to continue to aclimate on the counter...still inside the boxes...for several more hours.
this reduces the amount of sweating, and air bubbles and it will not compromise the taste either.

devorie Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 5:35am
post #6 of 9

um, I've successfully frozen a fondant covered cake

Sweetwise Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 11:11am
post #7 of 9

Yes, have frozen lots of fondant cakes. Biggest thing is protect it from condensation. I put the cake in a box and fill the negative space around it with crumpled plastic wrap - keep the moisture in the air from settling on the cake surface. It can depend on the brand of fondant you use, too. Some don't freeze well. I always use FondX and never have a problem with it.

blissfulbaker Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:12pm
post #8 of 9

No disrespect taken, I have never tried it. However, I have taken the Master Class at Wilton and a couple classes by Collette Peters and have been told fondant cannot be frozen. It was my understanding that fondant would dry out and get hard. After learning some people have had success with it I may try a small 6" cake and see what my results are. I usually use Carma fondant.

JanH Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 5:42pm
post #9 of 9

Please see BlakesCakes posts on successfully freezing both fondant and b/c cakes in these threads:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-698936-.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-668552-.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%