Questions

Business By lilly52184 Updated 10 Oct 2010 , 3:57am by lilly52184

lilly52184 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilly52184 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone!
My absolute dream is to own my own cake business. But im not exactly sure where would be a good place to start. Any and all advice would be Greatly appreciated!
Thank you all

7 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 8

What state are you in? Laws vary by state (and even within the state sometimes) as to what is required for starting food related businesses.

Sometimes it is best to work in a bakery and get your feet wet. That way you'd be able to practice and learn new skills w/o having the responsibility of making sure the espenses were covered. You may decide that it is not as glorious as the TV cake shows make it look.

lilly52184 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 8

Hi,
I live in Ga icon_smile.gif Ive been making some cakes at home for friends and family and found that I am the happiest doing cakes. Ive finally found my calling icon_biggrin.gif ! I am wanting to school to bcome a pastry chef !

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 8

I believe the rules in GA vary from county to county, so I would contact your county health dept and see what the rules are about selling cakes made from home. If you can bake from home, you would need a business license (usually from your town/city) and liability insurance. If you can't, you would also need to find a commercial kitchen to rent and be inspected by the county or state.

You should also work on a business plan and get a good idea of what your costs will be and how much you can charge for your cakes, as well as what your competitive advantage will be (i.e. what you can offer that your competition doesn't).

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 8

definitely do a business plan to determine your costs, expenses, break even point, list of equipment, marketing strategy, an analysis of the demographics, etc. Depending on how much time you can put into the research, this project can take a few weeks to a few months (I spent 9 months on mine).

lilly52184 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 8

Would happen to know where I could look at an example of a business plan to get an idea on how i should lay it out ?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 10:20pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilly52184

Would happen to know where I could look at an example of a business plan to get an idea on how i should lay it out ?

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-687085-plan.html

lilly52184 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 3:57am
post #8 of 8

ty so much

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%