Not Today!!! Of All Days...advice? Delivering Soon!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 8:20pm by amygortoncakes

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 11

icon_cry.gif i have this princess Belle cake due in a couple of hours..make that one hour...and my tiara just broke. icon_cry.gif i don't think i can fix it...i don't feel good and i don't get the pieces.

obviously i am going to have to go buy one....I just had my mom go get a $20 worth one...cuz that's what I charged for the tiara.

do I do that AND give them money back...cuz it's obviously not what they ordered. but, I am in the hole $20 now...ADVICE PLEASE

10 replies
bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 11

I don't think you should give them their money back. You are giving them the product and you have spent the $20.00. In fact, I wouldn't say anything about it - they will probably be thrilled. The only problem is: you're out $20. but these things happen.

step0nmi Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 11

well...they are expecting a hand made tiara of course they are going to notice icon_lol.gif I'm going to see what they say..i'm sure the bday girl will be thrilled with a tiara she can wear! icon_wink.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 11

I'm sure I'm too late, but what was it made of? Could you glue it back with candy melts or something?

step0nmi Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 12:22am
post #5 of 11

The girl who ordered the cake seemed a little disappointed...but the bday girl loved it non the less icon_smile.gificon_lol.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 2:23am
post #6 of 11

If she paid for a handmade tiara and you didn't give her one then I think you need to offer a refund for it.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:28am
post #7 of 11

I only make them out of gumpaste now, NEVER again will I use royal. sorry you had to deal with this today.... icon_sad.gif

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 7:52am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I only make them out of gumpaste now, NEVER again will I use royal. sorry you had to deal with this today.... icon_sad.gif

I'd keep the money. At the end of the day I'm sure they got a nice tiara and it still cost money. If they say something about not being happy, perhaps to keep the peace, you could then offer it back.
Good luck...

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 8:13am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I alway make two of whatever I can't be without, someday one will break, and the backup will come in handy. Too bad you don't live near me, I have two in air tight containers I would have given you one.

Sorry, I know that just sucks. Glad the bday girl was happy, that's all that matters really.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 6:08pm
post #10 of 11

This is what I would do in this case...The birthday girl may be pleased with it, but the person that ordered the cake was disappointed that she didn't get what she had ordered and deservedly so. I would offer a gift certificate for $20 off her next order. She may see that a kind gesture on your part to make things right. If she doesn't and wants the money back, then I would just cut your losses and refund her $20 in cash.

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 8:20pm
post #11 of 11

I don't know if anyone else does this, but in my contract I state that sometimes small details of the design may need to be altered due to accidents or the cake not being structurally sound. I explain that things happen such as this tiara breaking and have them initial that its okay to make these changes. That way you don't have to refund for a small change to the cake. I am totally agree that the customer should get what they've ordered but the fact is things happen, I think that by automatically refunding $ word gets out that you can claim something isn't perfect and then get a free cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%