Making A 3D Football Cake- Next Weekend

Decorating By HunneyBEE Updated 27 Nov 2010 , 4:55am by baker83

HunneyBEE Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 10

Hello!

I am making a 3D TCU Football Cake for next weekend for a friends soon to be husband and I need it to be able to feed about 60 people at least.
How do I begin to do this? I heard I could use two football cake pans, but I'm not sure how I would do that. Has anyone carved one?
If anyone has any suggestions I would really love them!!!
Thanks!!

9 replies
sweetcakesbyjen Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 10

I'm going to be making one of these too, and what I am going to do is make two of the footballs, put one on top of the other, fill it and ice as usual. Just going to treat it like any other two-layer cake. HTH!

yums Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 10

I just made one about a month ago. I used 2 of the wilton football pans and I put a board between the layers with 2 little supports just because of the shape. I also carved alot of the cake away. The edges seemed hard and it wasn't exactly football shaped...kinda flat. I am not sure of the servings but in my family we got prob 20-30.

Nancy_TX Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 2:35am
post #4 of 10

Are you wanting the football to be on it's side or standing up? For ones that will be horizontal, I use 2 wondermolds (only partially fill the pan) with a small amount of carving. I put a dowel through the center so they don't separate. Gives a great shape. For vertical ones, I either make the whole thing out of RKT, or at least the bottom 1/3 is either RKT or styrofoam.

I hope you're not trying to get 60 servings out of the football. You could add a helmet, or put the football on a field or something.

You can check out the "Got Game" gallery (http://www.sweetfavorsbynancy.com -> ENTER SITE -> galleries -> Got Game?)
on my website to see what I mean, because I can't figure out how to attach a photo.

HunneyBEE Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:44am
post #5 of 10

Nancy, I went to your site and I couldnt click on the picture to view the cake.
Thanks for your advice and everyone elses. She does want the cake to feed 60 out of just a football! LOL I didnt think it would be a good idea either so I may talk with her about adding a football field!
But the football shape just stumps me! I will try your suggestions! Thanks!

Nancy_TX Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:55am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunneyBEE

Nancy, I went to your site and I couldnt click on the picture to view the cake.

Hmmm, that's odd. Once you get to the home page, you just click galleries on the left, then you should be able to click either the picture or the text to the side of it to enter the particular gallery. Sorry it gave you trouble! Try this direct link http://www.sweetfavorsbynancy.com/index2.php?v=v1#/gallery1/2/

A football to feed 60 people would be comically big. I hope she goes for another idea! Good luck!

staceyflute Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:06pm
post #7 of 10

Haha, that would be one HUGE football! I recently made a football cake using the Wilton football pan. Baked two of them and put them together. The shape was a little "smooshed" though, so I think if I did it again, I would just carve it out myself.

Take a look...
http://stuffbystace.blogspot.com/2010/09/packers-football-cake.html

I do like the idea of putting it on a football field cake, that would definitely take care of your serving problem. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

HunneyBEE Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 1:11am
post #8 of 10

So she decided on a football field and a 3D football on top. I dont like the way the football pan looks...I agree it would look too flat. So I hope to try to carve the cake out of two 12 inch square pans...
If anyone has any tips for the top I would really LOVE some!

josumiko Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 1:27am
post #9 of 10

I have made the Wilton football pan, and if you fill it enough so that when it bakes it bakes all the way to the top (at least 3/4 full), it looks ok when you put the 2 together...maybe a little too flat, but still ok. If you bake a layer of cake in a square or round that would fit in the middle of the football and just carve away the excess and i think it would look great! if you already have the football pan, this might solve your dilemma and make less carving for you! HTH

baker83 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 4:55am
post #10 of 10

I want to do a 3d football shaped cake standing up but i was gonna use it to shape as a rocketship...any pointers on which way to go about it? Either two pans together, but supporting it to stand straight up would be an issue. Or just carving it out of multiple cakes, but i am not that great at carving. Still a beginner with cakes. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%