I Needs Some Objective Eyes, Please.

Decorating By MJTKNT Updated 10 Oct 2010 , 10:14pm by MJTKNT

MJTKNT Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 15

This is my first anemone, and I think I've been looking at it too long because I'm not happy with it, but maybe it's okay? I think I have it too full and frilly, and my edges cracked and aren't smooth. It's kind of hard to tell in this picture b/c there's still paper towel under the edges. Can you tell me if I have a detail wrong that's making me unhappy with it that I'm overlooking, or if I'm being paranoid and it looks okay?

14 replies
bakencake Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 15

I think it looks absolutely lovely thumbs_up.gif. Im my worse critic. I see all the cracks and bulges in my cakes when everyone else sees a wonderful cake. I think this might be happening to you. It's perfect.

cattycornercakes Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 15

Looks wonderful to me too!

redpanda Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 15

It's gorgeous, and you're just too critical.

Bonnell Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 15

You need to back away for a while and then come back to it. You will see it with new eyes. It is very pretty and doesn't need anything else done to it except maybe some petal dust to highlight it a little. Nice job.

infinitsky Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 15

It looks beautiful to me...

dawncr Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 15

It's a gorgeous flower and better than any I could make!

I'd think about
--removing the outside layer of petals, leaving only the inside.
--cupping the petals around the center just a bit more.

The biggest thing I notice is that it reminds me of a magnolia. Anemones have a fairly large black center, compared to the width of the petals. In most anemones, the width of the petals is approximately equal to the diameter of the center.

You *could* reduce the frilliness of the outer edge, but I think reducing the petal size will take care of that.

I hope I'm not being too critical, because there's no way I could make anything close to the beautiful flowers you've done. I can only offer you my eye for proportion.

Trying to post a photo here....

ILoveDaffodils Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 5:19pm
post #8 of 15

I think you did a wonderful job. It looks great.

nancyg Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 5:36pm
post #9 of 15

I too think it is beautiful......Thank you for sharing.

I do have a question? What are the black stamens made of or did you buy them

Susie53 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 5:37pm
post #10 of 15

I think it's beautiful! thumbs_up.gif

cakeythings1961 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 6:16pm
post #11 of 15

Lovely! How did you learn to do it? Is there a tutorial you recommend? And just out of curiosity, how long did it take to make this flower?

MJTKNT Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 7:03pm
post #12 of 15

Whew-- thanks for the comments guys. A couple hours of not looking at it has done wonders. It's growing on me, but I still don't think it's quite as anemone like as I wanted it. I think the next one I make won't have as many petals overlapping, and maybe not as much frill...that's probably the biggest 'issue' I have with it.

Nancyg, I bought the stamens here: http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=7502&trng=fgle Neither Michaels, Hobby Lobby, nor my local cake shop carry black, so I had to order them! If you're in a pinch though, and are sure to tell your customers that the flower is not edible, I'm sure you could buy the white ones and use some spray paint to get them black.

Cakeythings1961, I followed the tutorial in the how to section under the flowers sticky. I used a circle cutter though instead of buying the single rose petal cutter they use. After ruffling the edges on 3/4 of it, I pulled downward with the ball tool to make it more of an oval shape than circle where I hadn't ruffled. It was pretty quick to make- probably 20 minutes or so. Its the size of a large crisco can. I put cling wrap over the open top and used a rubber band to keep it in place, with some slack to form a cup.

bakencake Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 12:32am
post #13 of 15

I told you you rocked the anemone!!!! post a pic of the finished cake!!!

melindak30 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 1:03am
post #14 of 15

That is awesome girl We are all our own worst critic> You did a great job!

MJTKNT Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 10:14pm
post #15 of 15

Here's the link to the finished cake. It did not go so well...the flower was very heavy and I thought I had it down in the cake part, but it was on the edge and only got frosting, SO, that was a disaster. I fixed it as well as I could. Didn't look great, but everyone still liked it. My first wedding cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%