Cant Icing To Stiick To Corners Of Rectangle Cakes

Decorating By neesiegirl Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 6:20am by neesiegirl

neesiegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neesiegirl Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 7

Hello all,

I have been decorating cakes for about a year now and I seem to have trouble getting the icing to stick to the corners of the both square and rectangle cakes. Can someone give me a tip on how to fix this annoying problem? Thank you!
Neesie

6 replies
Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 7

Hiya icon_smile.gif

If it's sponge cakes I'm decorating it's the buttercream that sticks my icing to the cake. I remember when I was new to cake decorating everything took me so long that the buttercream had dried slightly by the time I got round the the last bit! Could that be happening to you?

Lyndsey xx

ILoveDaffodils Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILoveDaffodils Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 7

I am still figuring it out myself. Have you tried looking at the tutorials on youtube? Seriouscakes has good ones.

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 7

I have a hard time with that too. Would be good to see if someone has a solution

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 7

What you need to is ice the sides of the cake like you do the top of the cake...bring the icing PAST the side on both sides, then run your knife past it and straight...(not around the corner, if that makes sense) Is that what you guys are having problems with?

Also, build up the icing a little and stick it the fridge to harden, then apply a second coat that works too.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 5:24pm
post #6 of 7

A crumb coat works well...some nice soft icing, a thin coat, then let that sit in the fridge for awhile.

Sounds like maybe your icing is too stiff. If its Wilton recipe...they generally tend to keep their icings stiff. I like mine much softer.

neesiegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neesiegirl Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:20am
post #7 of 7

Thank you for all the posts. I really appreciate it. It is somewhat comforting to know that I am not the only one who has the same problem. I did find some what of a solution. Instead of my plastic spreading blade I use a metal putty knife or trowel. Heating it up with hot water works wonders and the cool thing is that being as how its metal it stays warmer much longer than plastic.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%