All Butter Pound Cake Wasn't Great

Baking By katnmouse Updated 12 Oct 2010 , 2:48am by katnmouse

katnmouse Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 9

I made a pound cake last week that called for 4 sticks of butter. The batter tasted fantastic, but once baked the flavor had dulled and while it wasn't crumbly to cut (seems perfect in cutting texture) it had a dry mouth feel. Would a recipe with part butter and part shortening be better (Paula Deen's pound cake is part butter part shortening).

8 replies
LindaF144a Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 9

What exactly was ypur recipe and how exactly did you prepare it? I will need more information first. What were the other ingredients, etc.

katnmouse Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 9

I used the following recipe found here on CC. There were several posts in the comments section about how perfect and delicious this cake was so I tried it but just did not get the results I wanted or expected. icon_redface.gif

Tasty and Moist Butter Vanilla Pound Cake
4 sticks of butter, softened
2C sugar
6 lg eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
3C flour, sifted
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 C whole milk or sour cream thinned with milk (your preference)
Ceam butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each. Add vanilla and blend. Add combined dry ingredients, alternating with the milk; beginning and ending with the dry. Beat for 2 min longer. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 1 hr to 1 hr 15 min depending on the pan. Layers bake in less time.

LindaF144a Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 12:09am
post #4 of 9

Beating cake batter for 2 minutes after the flour has been added will activate the gluten in the flour and create a tough cake thst will have a dry taste to it. I usually put the mixer on stir, add the dry and liquid like it says in the recipe. After i have added the last amiunt of fkour, i turn it to 2 or 3 for 10 seconds. I count this out and do not go over ten seconds. I then scrape the bowl and bottom incorporating by folding any batter does at not look mixed together.

So try not doing the 2 minute paet at the end and see if that helps.

scp1127 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 8:19am
post #5 of 9

Look for another recipe. My pound cake recipe is southern traditional... no leavening. Also there is a learning curve to making this type of pound cake. Look at tutorials and read tips on the internet. The results are worth it.

ibmoser Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 5:59pm
post #6 of 9

One other possibility - was the cake stored in the fridge? Butter cakes need to be served at room temp - they can taste bland and dry if chilled.

Scarlets-Cakes Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 9

My mother's recipe adds a T. of Butter flavoring, as well. It REALLY makes a difference in taste. It's also a southern recipe with no leavening. I posted it in the recipes under Lemon Pound Cake. You can leave out the lemon flavoring for just vanilla/butter cake. It always tastes better at room temperature, 2 days old. HTH icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:39am
post #8 of 9

Scarlets-cakes, my grandmother's recipe has butter flavoring too! I am not into flavorings, but it doesn't taste right without it. It sounds like the same cake. I'll look it up later and let you know. I stood by my grandmother and wrote down exactly how she made it and then studied other methods from southern cooks to get the method down.

katnmouse Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:48am
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the replies. I have made "5 flavor pound cake" in the past and it has always turned out moist and delicious. The butter cake wasn't bad (my husband and father in law both loved it)... I was just disappointed because based on the batter taste I had high expectations icon_rolleyes.gif I think I will try Paula Deen's recipe and compare the results.

Quote by @%username% on %date%