Hair Line Cracks?

Decorating By squeaky121603 Updated 10 Oct 2010 , 9:45pm by squeaky121603

squeaky121603 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
squeaky121603 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone developed a way to stop those terrible hair line cracks in buttercream? I make my buttercream from Sharon Zambito's directions exactly, coming out smooth. Yet, when I ice the cake and it sits I get those awful cracks. I mount my cakes on 1/2" foam board, use the bubble tea straws to stack them and still have them. Although, I don't always get them. So, wonder what could cause them sometimes and not other times?

Thanks,
Carol

5 replies
cad1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cad1951 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 6

thank you so much for posting this. i would like the solution to this too. seems lately all mine do this and i don't think they used to do it. hope someone has an answer to this and thank you in advance if you do have the answer to this problem. your a lifesaver!

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 6

could be your cake is too soft or settling? another thing is that i often have to vary the amount of coffee creamer that i add depending on the weather/humidity. added a bit too much once this summer and my icing had a few hairlines because of the heat and humidity that was really awful this summer in my area icon_sad.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaky121603

I mount my cakes on 1/2" foam board, use the bubble tea straws to stack them and still have them. Although, I don't always get them. So, wonder what could cause them sometimes and not other times?

Half inch foam board can still flex. I don't know if you're talking about stacking small tiers, sculpted layers, or smaller cakes on rectangles, etc., but could it be that you're comparing different sizes with multiple variations as to why some get hairline cracks and others don't?

I also don't know how many times you move the cakes around or how they are handled. Could it be that you're lifting from the outer edges of the board without supporting the bottom of the cake with your hand when they are moved?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 4:42am
post #5 of 6

I read on here the other day that vinegar helps with cracks.

squeaky121603 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
squeaky121603 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks to those that responded to my question on hair line cracks. I think that maybe I am adding a bit too much coffee creamer. Thicker icing makes more sense to me than a thinner icing. So, I will go with thicker icing and hopefully that works. I will post if this seems to be the answer.

Again thanks,
Carol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%