How Long Can You Store A Decorated Cake?

Decorating By TPayne827 Updated 9 Oct 2010 , 10:33pm by cherrycakes

TPayne827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPayne827 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 5

I am in the process of making my daughter's 1st birthday cake. We will have more cake than we need but I wanted to go all out! I am having her 1 year pictures taken next Friday and want a smash cake for her photos. I was thinking of saving the top tier of the cake for the photos but I am wondering if it is safe to feed her a week old cake. I could put it in the refrigerator but it is buttercream with fondant decor and will have a fondant "drape" on the top like the cake below. I didn't know if I could refrigerate it without ruining the fondant part. Any suggestions? Should I just forget this idea and make another smash cake for the pics?

4 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 5

Since it's just for a photoshoot and you don't need to feed it to her, you could consider making a dummy cake.

If you go with the refrigerator, and it gets condensation, it will eventually evaporate. If damage shows, you could make it the back of the cake as any damaged areas probably wouldn't show in the portrait anyway. Your daughter would be the attention of focus. I think a dummy cake for the prop would be the easier, less stressful choice to transport.

TPayne827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPayne827 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 5

She will actually be eating the cake at the photo shoot! They set them up and let them go to town on the cake while they snap away! icon_smile.gif I just worried that the moisture from the refrigerator would make my fondant decorations sweat and possiblyy slide off my cake.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPayne827

They set them up and let them go to town on the cake while they snap away! icon_smile.gif

In that case, I guess it really doesn't matter what the cake looks like at that point! No need to hide any flaws!

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 10:33pm
post #5 of 5

Would you consider freezing it? I've frozen many fondant cakes without any problems - I just let it thaw in the fridge overnight and then let it dry at room temp. without touching it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%