Omg Please Help - White Velvet Cake

Lounge By Echooo3 Updated 9 Oct 2010 , 9:13pm by manahigh

Echooo3 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 17

I've been trying to make the white velvet recipe from CC (here's the link).

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15190/white-velvet-cake

Wedding is on Monday, my first paid wedding cake order and this is the flavor she wants. My problem is it keeps sinking in the middle.

My oven temp is 325, I've tried a 6" pan, 8" pan, 9" pan and 12" pan on different days but the middle always sinks.

Please help.

Should I reduce the temp even more like to 300 or bump it up to 350? I think 350 is going to be too hot because it is a very dense heavy cake. I am also using the bake even strips.

16 replies
3GCakes Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 17

Have you tried actually measuring you oven temp with a different thermometer? It could be your oven temp is off. Also, never open the door to "check" on the cake. Wait until it is almost done.

I was having probs with choco wasc cake sinking in the middle, so I started adding a teaspoon or so of baking powder to them mix. This helped me.

Echooo3 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 17

Yes, I have an oven thermometer that I have placed in the middle of the oven.

I guess I try the baking powder. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

imagenthatnj Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 17

Be careful with baking powder. You shouldn't add baking powder to a sinking cake batter.

It's actually one of the faults of a cake sinking!

http://www.greatknives.com/Pastryfolder/cake_faults.htm

Too much baking powder can cause the batter to be bitter tasting. It can also cause the batter to rise rapidly and then collapse. (i.e. The air bubbles in the batter grow too large and break causing the batter to fall.) Cakes will have a coarse, fragile crumb with a fallen center. Too little baking powder results in a tough cake that has poor volume and a compact crumb.

Read more: http://www.joyofbaking.com/bakingsoda.html#ixzz11sPH0hgL

Echooo3 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 17

I guess I won't try the baking powder than.

Any other tips out there?

imagenthatnj Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 17

Did you read the comments on that recipe? I find that a few people have the same problem you're having and had corrections to the recipe, or at least questions.

MarianInFL Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:42pm
post #7 of 17

I tried this cake several times this week. I'm making a haunted house and needed several layers. I tried it with eggs whites, two eggs, three eggs. Only the 3 egg version didn't sink in the middle. It overflowed into my oven. I used baking strips and flower nail on everyone. The tops and sides are so hard, it's like a cookie. So I have to carve so much off, it's such a waste. There has to be a better dense cake recipe.

imagenthatnj Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:48pm
post #8 of 17

Here are a few recipes, just to compare to the others. Sometimes I do that to find out what could be wrong. The one from Cake Boss (the software company) seems similar.

http://www.cakeboss.com/WhiteVelvetCake.aspx

http://weddings.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Wedding_Cake_Recipes

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/white-velvet-cake-recipe.htm

Echooo3 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:34pm
post #9 of 17

In the notes on the recipe, MAMAWROBIN says this is her go to recipe for white cake. I'm going to shoot her a PM.

dawncr Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:55pm
post #10 of 17

I'd try:

1. Raising the temp to 350
2. Reducing the added sugar by half

Where's LindaF? She's pretty good at troubleshooting.

BlakesCakes Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 6:43pm
post #11 of 17

I make a similar cake. The only difference is that I don't use creamer (they have lots of sugar and fat in them, so it really alters the chemistry of the recipe).

I use straight water. The cake is delicious.

I also put an inverted flower nail in every cake (1 in the center of a 6" or 8", 2 in a 10", 3 in a 12", and 4 in a 14"). I bake at 325. I don't open the door too often, I don't move the pan around, and I don't press on the center or test with s toothpick until the center doesn't jiggle when I pull the rack out a bit.

HTH
Rae

conchita Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 7:03pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echooo3

Yes, I have an oven thermometer that I have placed in the middle of the oven.

I guess I try the baking powder. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

just use whole eggs not the whites and no baking powder make sure your oven temp is at 350
good luck and let us know if this works for you thumbs_up.gif

All4Show Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 7:14pm
post #13 of 17

Are you using sugar free pudding? If not, you might try that to reduce the amount of sugar.

LindaF144a Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 8:34pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncr

I'd try:

1. Raising the temp to 350
2. Reducing the added sugar by half

Where's LindaF? She's pretty good at troubleshooting.

Thank you, but i have zero experience with doctored box mix cakes. The only thing i would suggest is to try a different brand cake mix, as they are all different. And i would not add more leavening. It is already included in the mix and adding more will make it rise then fall begore it is finished.

Good luck.

Kellbella Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 8:56pm
post #15 of 17

I agree with Blake...try a flower nail and sounds like maybe too much sugar. Are you opening up the oven door?? That'll make it sink too!

vharbin Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 8:57pm
post #16 of 17

I use the recipe on the Cake Boss website and have great results with it. It's a hit with everyone that's tasted it. I use Betty Crocker cake mix and Swan's Down cake flour. It works best if you line the bottom of the pan with either wax paper or parchment paper along with cooking spray. Mine would stick and tear up coming out of the pan until I started doing this.

manahigh Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 9:13pm
post #17 of 17

I tried this recipe one time and had the same problem - the middle sunk, even before it came out of the oven!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%