2 Questions For The Cake Masters Out There

Decorating By sccandwbfan Updated 9 Oct 2010 , 7:37pm by sccandwbfan

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:02am
post #1 of 4

Hi,

I'm relatively new to cake decorating, I have a few under my belt so far. I've been asked to make a cake for church that is leading me to my first question:

If I make 6 12" square cakes and stack them in stacks of 2 with cake boards between them, will simple structures like dowels keep the board from taking off all of the icing underneath it?

2nd question, asking to late, but need to know for future:

Do you have any tried and true methods for covering shapes with fondant? For instance, I made a teapot cake today with the Wilton Ball pan. I had a tough time getting the fondant to mold to the bottom part of the cake. I ended up with a bunch of wrinikles that I was able to cover with flowers, but may not be so lucky next time.

Thanks in advance for any advice that anyone can give me.

Christy

3 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:33am
post #2 of 4

If you make your dowels all the same height and they are not beneath bc it should be fine....spray bottom of cake with a slight mist of water(on bc) so fondant will adhere next time....sugarshack dampens with a paper towel...but cake must be real chilled to do that...hope this helps...no expert...but thought I would answer you

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 8:39am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccandwbfan

If I make 6 12" square cakes and stack them in stacks of 2 with cake boards between them, will simple structures like dowels keep the board from taking off all of the icing underneath it?

Probably not. You can use a square piece of waxed paper, or sprinkle some powdered sugar to prevent sticking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccandwbfan

I made a teapot cake today with the Wilton Ball pan. I had a tough time getting the fondant to mold to the bottom part of the cake.

You can try covering the top half and bottom half separately, then smooth the seam, or cover it like a baseball (with two figure "8" sort of shapes) and smooth the seams.

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you before for your comments. I will try them all when I get a chance. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%