Attach Ribbon To A Square Cake Without Marking It?

Decorating By lthiele Updated 9 Oct 2010 , 1:37am by lthiele

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all - I am doing my first square wedding cake and have to attach a pale coffee coloured ribbon to an ivory cake. I secured the back with sugar glue to see if it would dry clear, but NO! Is there something else I can use so the ribbon sits flush, its kind of sitting out from the cake along the straight edges if that makes sense. TIA

2 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 3

Do you mean the top of the ribbon sticks out away from the cake? you can kinda put your finger behind the ribbon without touching the cake? If so, it's because there is a slightly angle to the side of the cake. I used to have this all the time until I figured it out. What fixed it for me is when I started using a bench scraper to smooth the icing, which gave me a perfect 90 degree angle .... straight up and down.

I always glued my ribbons together in the back of the cake becuase, well, it's the back. no one sees it.

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 1:37am
post #3 of 3

Yeah that's right Debi, can't fit a finger down there, but it's not flush. Have been using a bench scraper (actually a plastic tool from the hardware, which I think is for tiling - but it works!) I must be holding my hand at an angle! Thanks for the heads up - practise makes perfect I guess!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%