Must Have Furniture? Desk?

Lounge By TexasSugar Updated 11 Oct 2010 , 4:39pm by WendyB

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 5

I have this roll top wood desk. Not a huge one, but it does take out quite a bit of space in my house and more specifically in my dining room, the only place I could really put it. I got it at a garage sale so I dont have any real attachments too it, and I think I bought it because I thought every home needs a desk, right?

Now Im beginning to wonder if that is really true. I get that you need a place to put your important paper work, bills and so forth, but does it have to be a big desk?

I feel like the desk is just one big clutter holder. In the spring I actually started cleaning it out and found things in it that were put in it I moved in almost 6 years ago, and never touched again. So I feel like it is just a dumping ground for crap and a holding place for stuff that I really dont need. Of course now it is piled with junk again.

Im thinking I could easily tuck a filling cabinet into the cake room to hold the important stuff. I could find a nice cubby spot for my bills, which I end up actually paying while I am at work. And then also find some way to neatly condense and organize the other little stuff you have on a desk. I do have a lap top, but no internet, so I dont really do much with the computer at home. And if I do, Im usually sitting on the couch. Plus I have two tables and a bar top area I could always work on.

Do you think a desk is a must have in house? If no, what are some ways you keep all of those things organized?

4 replies
saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 5

We own three desks, and every single one of them is home to ridiculous amounts of clutter. The important stuff, like bills, either ends up on the counter or a drawer in the kitchen; eventually it might find its way to the filing cabinet.

Get rid of the desk. It obviously isn't something you need. Love the space.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 5

We bought a proper 4 drawer filing cabinet a few years ago and it's fantastic. It means that piece of paper that comes into the house has somewhere to go. Even if I only end up filing every 6 months, it really does keep us organized. We have sections for finances, family stuff like school report cards and medical stuff and passports, sections for home improvements, pets, cars etc etc.

I still have a desk, because I like somewhere to sit and work, but it doesn't get sky-high with bits of paper.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 5

My problem is that my desk gets over run with items that don't have a proper home or needs me to make it a home and I just haven't. The actual stuff that should be on/in my desk is actually in plastic containers beside the desk stacked in the chair.

There is a part of me that says pull everything off and start over, but I sorta did that in the spring and it is just full again with stuff that doesn't really belong. I'm still debating completely getting rid of it. As I told my brother, if I don't have it in the house, I can't put stuff on it. Maybe if I get rid of enough furniture I will quit piling stuff up since I won't have places to put it? It's a thought atleast.

WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 4:39pm
post #5 of 5

Since you pay most of your bills at work anyway, something small and portable is what would really serve you. This is an example:

http://www.flylady.net/pages/FlyShop_OIB.asp

Then after you use your "portable desk" you can go home and put things away in your filing cabinet. Get rid of the desk.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%