Flower Nail For Even Heating...

Lounge By Pickulz Updated 8 Oct 2010 , 11:54pm by cheatize

Pickulz Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 6

I have used a flower nail for even baking etc a few times...but the last time i used it it was a disaster!
What happened was that i inverted the cake first onto a cookie sheet..and the nail didnt pop out..rather it slanted into the cake..making a big cut in it! Dont know why it happened??

I cant remember if my cake rised a full 2 inches or not...could that be the problem?

5 replies
PattyT Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 6

Don't use the cookie sheet. I center a cooling rack over the cake pan with the nail sticking through. Then flip the cake over and out of the pan. You have to work fast though 'cause there is a split second when you set it on the counter and the nail is pushes back. Pull the pan off and then the nail. It tears a little sometimes, but not bad.

I tried flipping the pan in my hand with the nail between the thumb and fingers of my oven mitt, but I'm a little clumsy and it's harder.

leily Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 6

I do the same as pattyT. I use a cooling rack. Place it over the cake so the nail is going through it and then flip them together. Then pull the pan up so the cake is left on the cooling rack. Then pull out the nail.

cakesbyamber Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 6

I do the same thing with the cooling rack. I also spray the nails with bakers joy, I think it makes a difference.

dnrlee Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyamber

I do the same thing with the cooling rack. I also spray the nails with bakers joy, I think it makes a difference.

I always spray mine and I've never had a problem.

cheatize Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 6

I've had to flip a cake onto a baking sheet before. The same thing happened and the nail scratched the sheet, too. Fortunately, the rip wasn't too big so I just piped some buttercream in there to glue it together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%