Seamless Fondant

Decorating By Isyboe Updated 9 Oct 2010 , 12:16am by cheatize

Isyboe Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a limousine cake out of Fondant. Is there a way to roll out the Fondant in 2 seperate batches and apply it to the cake...then have no seams?
I cannot seem to get the Fondant of the table and onto the cake without splitting it. I need it to be 17" wide and 27" long.
Help!!!!

4 replies
mrsbriggs06 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 5

i just rolled 40" long by hand yesterday and had to have help lifting it onto the cake (a submarine) but i got it done with no tearing.

if you can get help, i'd go that route. if not, i'd roll it onto a long sheet of parchement/wax paper/something to help you to avoid a seam

DianeLM Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 5

I just covered two cakes with almost identical dimensions. I rolled out the fondant to the size needed, rolled it around a large rolling pin, then carefully unrolled it over the cake.

If you have someone to help you, roll out your fondant on a moveable surface, like a giant piece of foamboard. Have your assistant help hold the board while you slide the fondant off onto your cake.

Or, roll your fondant onto a giant piece of vinyl, using shortening so the fondant sticks to the vinyl. Turn the fondant covered vinyl over onto your cake. Peel off the vinyl.

Motorhead Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 5

i've only attempted this on small seams, but i've dabbed a small amount of water on the seam, took a molding tool (something flat and rounded) then worked the fondant into the other piece to hide the seam. i did this when attaching the wings on my dragon, but i have no idea if it would work on a larger piece. on larger pieces i have always used the rolling pin trick mentioned already. hth and good luck to ya! thumbs_up.gif

cheatize Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 12:16am
post #5 of 5

I've never successfully melded a seam so that it's unoticable. I bought a small craft iron to try, though. If you have one you can try it on a sample piece. A hair dryer to melt the seam together works some.

I think your best bet is the vinyl and crisco. I've rolled out much larger pieces than you need using this method.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%