Cricut Cake?

Decorating By maude Updated 9 Oct 2010 , 9:45pm by tiggy2

maude Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 19

I have the personal cricut but haven't had much luck with it for cutting out cake decorations. Saw the cricut cake for 1/2 price and was wondering will it do any better? Will it be worth buying? For those of you who have one, what are your thoughts?

18 replies
vaniti716 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 19

I have the same question....i have read so much stuff that I am confused also....where did u see it for 1/2 price???? I wanted to get one but because of the price I have held off buying it.

blissfulbaker Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 19

I bought the Cricut cake when it first came out. I was so excited to get it. However, it has been a huge disappointment. I have spent so much time reading different web sites and blogs. It does NOT work with fondant, like it originally was advertised. Gum paste is what I use. When I get the tension and speed just right it works fine. But to get everything just right is difficult. It is also a pain to get the gum paste rolled so thin and to cover the mat. I have a "love / hate" relationship with it. When it works well I love it, when it tears the gum paste and I am re-rolling it, I hate it. I would not buy it again. I would be better off buying stencils and cutters with my money. I wish I would have returned it to HSN while I had the chance.

vaniti716 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 19

lol I am confused again!

blissfulbaker Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 19

This should help end the confusion...save your money (no matter how cheap it is) and don't buy it. I have been thinking of selling mine on ebay.

maude Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 19

Michael's has them for $200 off.

blissfulbaker Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 19

There is a reason why they are marking them down so much...they do NOT work like they advertise.

tiggy2 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 5:22pm
post #8 of 19

It's not the machine it's the product you use and the way it's prepared for use. The best thing to use is Linda McClure's gum paste and it has to be rolled very thin. Using a pasta roller to #7 or 8 gets the best results. Then put it on a greased mat and place inside a zip lock back over night and it will cut perfectly. I use the flexible cutting mats from the $ store so I don't tie up my cutting mats. I've had decent success with adding tylose to wilton fondat but Linda's gum paste recipe is really the bestthing to use. Letting it sit over night is a must. I have the cake cricut and a silhouette and have great success with both of them. If you're looking at a new purchase my preference would be the silhouette.

nancyg Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 5:41pm
post #9 of 19

Ditto to tiggy 2....I took Linda Mcclures class....And if you have a chance to attend one....Don't Miss it!!!

Fantastic teacher..... and yes, I to have the cricut. Haven't touched it since I bought the silouette from Linda and Jeff....WOW!! is it great. Contact them.

2 of the nicest people I'll find their email and come back and post it in case anyone would need it.

nancyg Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 5:44pm
post #10 of 19

email is:
deseretdesigns @deseretdesigns.com

Ivy383 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 6:00pm
post #11 of 19

I use Wilton fondant and it works for me.

mrsfoxxy2u Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 6:24pm
post #12 of 19

I have had the cricut cake for about 5 months. Honestly, it wasn't exactly what I had expected, but I do Love it! It is unique in that it cuts so many things, and there are so many options, but it is also quite expensive. Each cartridge is any where from $59.99 to $89.99...so shop for the sales! I have been doing okay using fondant, I like to add some tylose to it in more humid conditions, but all in all if you have the settings right it cuts well. If you are more of a 3-D type it will NOT produce that, but for flat images and writing I think it's great! (I do stink at free hand piping words and such, maybe that has somethng to do with my favoring it!) Good Luck and have fun!!! icon_smile.gif

dholdenrn Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 6:34pm
post #13 of 19

I love mine and I use Wilton Gumpaste. It takes some practice, but once you get the hang of it, it's great. I use it all the time for monograms and embellishments.

gramof5 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 6:42pm
post #14 of 19

I got mine for Mothers Day and it works for me with Wilton fondant. I just let it sit for a while after rolling to let the surface dry a bit and not catch on the rollers. It's better at cutting out shapes than it is at cutting out letters. I also have one of those programs (MTC) that works with the Cricut so that I can pull images from the internet and never have to buy another cartridge!

SBaker Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 7:09pm
post #15 of 19

Tiggy2, are you willing to give out Linda McClure's gumpaste recipe? I've saw her use it at ICES and was impressed. I use chocolate fondant. It rolls out very thin and chills quickly. It works great for me with the Cricut Cake.

Ellie1985 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 7:11pm
post #16 of 19

I got an email from Michael's Crafts yesterday and they have the Cricut Cake on sale for $199. I could kick myself for paying $399. It must not be selling very well if they already are discounting it 50%.

madgeowens Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 7:25pm
post #17 of 19

I know I saw this right after my son got it for me for my birthday...only it was 299 when I saw it sheesh

ALR1955 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 7:51pm
post #18 of 19

For those of you having a difficult time with the Circut machine I will be hosting Linda McClure in Brunswick, Georgia (near the Florida border) the first weekend of November. I understand that her class is AMAZING!
PM me if you want more info or go to her website.

tiggy2 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 9:45pm
post #19 of 19

You can get her recipe on her silhouette DVD. I have cut out 1/2" letters with it and have had no problems with it at all icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%