Stripes On Rounds

Decorating By deetmar Updated 9 Oct 2010 , 9:18pm by deetmar

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 20

I am doing a cake that has 8" satellites that will have stripes on them. I want the stripes to be 1" wide, how do I figure out how to space them, and what do you do to make sure they are straight.

I also have a 12" round that I need to figure out too.

Thanks for your help,

Marilyn

19 replies
KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 20

I would make a template--cut a circle of parchment the size of the cake and the fold it into wedges until you get the pattern/spacing you want. Put that on top of the cake to gently mark where the stripes would go.

I'm sure someone has a template but I don't have the link.

Kristy

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 20

When I do strips like that I would just put the first two across from each other (straight line) then do the next two across them (think plus sign) then fill in betwee those spots. It helps to quarter off your cake and work from there. If you just start on one side and work your way around, you end up with either too big or two small a spot in the end.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 20

my problem with this is that my strips end up getting distorted and thin out getting them from counter to the cake. in other words i cut all the strips, lets say one inch, and half end up being 3/4 inch or thinner. how can i avoid this?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakencake

my problem with this is that my strips end up getting distorted and thin out getting them from counter to the cake. in other words i cut all the strips, lets say one inch, and half end up being 3/4 inch or thinner. how can i avoid this?

Let your cut strips sit for a few minutes before you put them on the cake. I like to gently move them to a piece of foam sponge so they get air circulation all around. They'll firm up enough to handle but stay pliable enough to curve over the top of the cake.

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 20

Speaking of stripes... what does everyone find to be the best means to cut them out of fondant/gumpaste....do you use rulers and a knife or pizza cutter, or do you us one of those rollers... I have one roller where you can change the spacing from Wilton, but I absolutely hate it... piece of junk!

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 4:38pm
post #7 of 20

I have the Wilton roller and love it. I've learned that you have to push pretty hard to get it to cut well and you have to control how tight the nut on the end gets (to keep the roller actually rolling and not dragging) but my stripes are cut perfectly every time.

KimmyKakes4Me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 5:11pm
post #9 of 20

I use a plastic pizza type cutter. That way it won't cut my mat. Here's the tutorial that I used when learning to do stripes.
http://tortentante.blogspot.com/2009/03/anleitung-streifentorte-mit-schleife.html

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 5:18pm
post #10 of 20

Thanks for the stripes cutting tips!

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 5:38pm
post #11 of 20

Thank you!!!! thumbs_up.gif

deetmar Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 9:45pm
post #12 of 20

Thanks for all of the help, it's good to know that I'm not the only one that struggles with stripes. It's one of those things that when you are on, you are on, and when your not, oh boy!

disney16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disney16 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 2:06am
post #13 of 20

What are satellites? This question was very helpfull to me too.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 8:41am
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney16

What are satellites?

Smaller cakes off from the main cake.

Sometimes surrounding, underneath, different levels, off to one side or both, etc.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 10:00am
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

When I do strips like that I would just put the first two across from each other (straight line) then do the next two across them (think plus sign) then fill in betwee those spots. It helps to quarter off your cake and work from there. If you just start on one side and work your way around, you end up with either too big or two small a spot in the end.

Agree. I tend to look at a round cake like a clock and divide it (mentally) that way. Decors at 12, 3, and 6 or at 12, 2, 4, and 6, for example.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 2:38pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:

Yeah, I fell for the fantasy. The spacing between each wheel is not consistent. As much as 1/4 inch difference!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 7:05pm
post #18 of 20

I do what TexasSugar does and cut with a cutter like the one KimmyKakes4Me posted.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 7:06pm
post #19 of 20

Oh, and to keep the stripes from distorting, roll the stripe onto your rolling pin and then unroll it as you apply it to the cake.

deetmar Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 9:18pm
post #20 of 20

Great idea, I had never heard of that one. You learn something new everyday! I will give it a try.

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%