Please Help! Frustrated With Fondant Or " The Mat"

Decorating By Jessy133 Updated 8 Oct 2010 , 3:12pm by cakesbyamber

Jessy133 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessy133 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 8

Ok ladies I am so mad/frustrated! This is only my 3rd fondant cake. My first one was years ago and I used Wilton which tasted like crap. Then I made one earlier this week, out of MMF and it tasted well but to me had a bit of an after taste. Then I found another MMF receipe on CC and tried to do that one, I made it last night and let it sit overnight in the fridge to cool.

Now I also received my MAT yesterday and was very excited to use it becasue I saw the youtube video and it looks so easy!

When I put my fondant on the mat, and started rolling it, it looks like little air bubbles under it and the fondant had a wierd looking surface. Then I went to put the fondant on the cake and it was sooo sticky! and still had a wierd looking texture to it. So I am not sure if the wierd texture is because of the fondant itself or because of the MAT.

I seasond the mat as they said on their website with the shortning and then wiped off any excess.

Any ideas! Do you think it is my mat? My MaT def. does not look like the one in the youtube video, I dont know if I messed it up some how but it does not look smooth, it looks like it has air bubbles everywhere and it doesnt smooth out like the oen in the video

TYFL!

7 replies
infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 8

I do not think it is the mat. I don't have it yet, but logicly it is just a piece of extra extra smooth plastic. I guess it has to be the new fondant recipe. Maybe you needed to adjust it before rolling it, like adding a little more powder sugar or letting it rest at room temperature... HTH

Jessy133 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 8

I was also wondering if it could be the surface that I put it on. I am using it on my dining table which is a glass top table (since I have more space to work with) and the mat when I place it on the table makes a ton of tiny air bubbles on the bottom of the table becuase it completely sticks to the table. Dont know if it could be that and a combination of the bad fondant.

here is a pic of the surface of the fondant how it came out.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 8

Just make sure your mat is smooth on the table, it'll show very clearly if you have crumbs or anything under it. What MMF did you make?

When I make it, I do the bag of mini marshmallows melted with some water, then knead in powdered sugar until it's not sticky anymore. Wrap it up well and let it sit on the counter overnight to cool and settle. The next day I knead it again with powdered sugar hands if it's sticky at all. You may need to sift your powdered sugar if it has any lumps at all. But you will need to knead again really well until it's nice and smooth, as you start to knead it it will be lumpy or bubbly looking at first, then smooth out. I've found with the MMF the crisco makes it way too moist or sticky or whatever so I roll it on corn starch, make sure to lift and dust a bit so it doesn't stick to your mat.

hth

Jessy133 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 8

The fondant I made was a MMF receipe from here that I found and it had rave reviews for how good it tasted. that recipe calls for adding corn syrup and I have a feeling that is what is making it not work to wel for me.

I made the other day the MMF from antoher site I found that it was just the Mini MM and water and sugar, and it worked well for me, but a few days later it was very dry didnt hold up well so I saw this one and thought I owudl give it a shot. I just dont know what it comes out bad for me and for others that did it said it was wonderful. Sad thing is it really tastes super good! But I have wasted so much $ on making the fondant that I thinkit would have been better for me to just buy Satin Ice or Fondx!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 3:01pm
post #6 of 8

btw, I didn't realize that you were using a new mat system, so my advice is a little off. But, the fondant will make a difference. If you wrap the mmf well, and then if it hardens up microwave it for like 10 seconds or so, knead it well, it should work again. I used to make my fondant when I started out, but then I started ordering for consistency and ease. Time is money, sometimes you have more time than money, sometimes not icon_smile.gif

wasabi106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wasabi106 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 8

I don't know how it could be the MAT. In my limited experience I have made MMF a few times and it was good but soft and not the best to work with. I now use MFF and love it. It is super easy, great tasting and easy to work with.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7446/michele-fosters-fondant

Good luck! I am dying to try the Mat out myself!

cakesbyamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamber Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 8

I'm no expert, but I wonder if it may have something to do with refridgerating the fondant?? I don't use a recipe that calls for corn syrup but I know that most times it is recommended that you not put fondant in the fridge. With the temperature change it can cause condensation which may create that sticky effect you are talking about. I always let mine cool at room temperature. Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%