Bake Even Strip Started To Melt While Baking!!

Decorating By Tor1985 Updated 15 Nov 2010 , 7:16pm by MarianInFL

Tor1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tor1985 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 35

I just bought Wilton's bake even strips and pinned them really tight.
I put two cakes in the oven and 30 mins later I noticed a odd smell, I checked the oven and one of the bake even strips came loose and started to melt...needless to say my cakes were garbage....has this happened to anyone else?

34 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 12:38pm
post #2 of 35

Did you soak them in water for about 20 minutes and wring out before attaching??If not then yes..They will burn...They have to be damp wet...The smell is also because they are new..after a few uses it will go away.

Tor1985 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 35

I soaked them for 30 mins!!
I'm so mad right now, I was trying to get ahead of the game and bake two of the cakes this morning...icon_sad.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 35

Hmmm..I don't know what to say....I have no explanation..Sorry about your cakes...

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 1:33pm
post #5 of 35

I've never had that happen either. Contact Wilton (www.wilton.com) and tell them what happened. They will more than likely replace them for you. Good Luck!

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 1:44pm
post #6 of 35

Oh wow, I've never had that happen!

You soaked them well, wrung them out (yet left them damp) and pinned them with what?

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 35

I would contact them too. I'm sure they would want to stand behond their product! (hopefully, right)!?!?

dm321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dm321 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 2:49pm
post #8 of 35

This might be a stupid question but... You had the silver side out, right?

I use them all the time and this has never happened to me. Sounds like a mess - Sorry that happened to your oven & your cakes! icon_sad.gif

~diem

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 3:52pm
post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm321

This might be a stupid question but... You had the silver side out, right?

Oh, good basic question! I don't think it's stupid to ask!

Tor1985 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 4:16pm
post #10 of 35

I don't know what happened....lol yes I had the silver side out,had them pinned and they were still damp.....???

I'm triple pinning them now so that they can't slide down....now I'm checking the cakes every 5 mins becasue I'm scared it's going to happen again! I'm making my first wedding cake so hopefully nothing else goes wrong!

Maybe I will contact Wilton and just let them know what happened.

Thanks everyone

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 4:18pm
post #11 of 35

I would definitely contact wilton as I believe this is an anomaly. I've used them for years and never had this happen, so I think it sounds like some kind of mfg'ing defect or something.

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 7:03pm
post #12 of 35

If you are afraid of them metling again before getting a new pair, I have made my own using terry cloth towels. Same principle, just soak, pin and bake.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 12:12am
post #13 of 35

You said they came loose. Did they touch the element or the flame?

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:06am
post #14 of 35

And do your pans have straight sides, or sloped. If they are sloped the strips are hard to use as they want to slide down even if you pin them tightly. And they don't work effectively as they aren't insulating the sides due to the gap.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:23am
post #15 of 35

Thats weird that this happened. I dont know what to tell you....definitely call Wilton and request a refund!!

Just a tip.... I never use those stupid pins that were included with the strips.....I always use a bobby pin to secure both ends and this works like a charm icon_smile.gif No more sliding strips down my pan icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:29am
post #16 of 35

were they wet enough do you think? thats very strange....I never had a problem.......don't have trouble with the pins either

Tor1985 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 1:17pm
post #17 of 35

Maybe I'll try different pins.

They were wet enough as I had soaked them for 30 mins!

I really started looking at the strip after it cooled down and it looks like the stiching cam out at the top, so I think what have had happened is the heat started to melt the inside a bit but the weight made the strip droop and come in concact with the oven rack...I can't think of how else it would slide down as I know I pinned it tight....After I'm done this cake I'll contact Wilton and see what the say.

Thanks again for all the help icon_smile.gif

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:47pm
post #18 of 35

Not that it helps with yur situation, I would call Wilton to complain as well, but I started making my own and they work just fine.

I take old bath towels or beach towels. Cut them in 4 inch strips and fold over to a 2 inch double strip. I soak in cold water before I start and place them in the freezer until the cake is ready to go into the oven. They will be a little frozen, but still pliable. Pin just like the Wilton ones with safety pins.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:48pm
post #19 of 35

I always pin mine on tightly, too. Then, I bang the pan on the counter a few times to raise the air bubbles, which always makes the strips move. I have to push them back up.

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 6:20pm
post #20 of 35

Just a tip. I pin mine on my pan when they are dry and before I start making cake batter. Then, I soak them in a bowl of ice water while I mix. When I am ready, I pull it out and gently ring out some of the water...but leave them rather wet. I can then slide it on my pan and don't have to mess with trying to pin a wet bake even strip.

Yours sounds like it was an issue with the product. I hope Wilton does the right thing and replaces your set!

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 12:36am
post #21 of 35

I bought two sets of new Wilton baking strips last year. Bought the big packages with assorted sizes, as my old ones had seen their days. I had to throw the new ones in the trash, because the chemical smell from them ruined my cakes and smelled up my oven so bad, I had to put it through the self clean cycle twice before the smell was gone. It took us days to get the chemical smell out of the house too. It was pretty awful.

The newer strips are not made of the same material as the old ones. They're very shiny and smell bad as soon as you open the package. I figured it was just a "new" smell so washed them a few times before using them. Even that didn't work. Not sure what wilton has added to to the new ones, what the material is now, but I would never buy them again.
I just use old wet folded towel strips now. They're a pain to use (to me) but better than having an oven and house stinking of chemicals.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:48am
post #22 of 35

They don't stretch went they're wet?

I could have used this tip earlier today. One flew out of my hand and landed under the stove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesh268

Just a tip. I pin mine on my pan when they are dry and before I start making cake batter. Then, I soak them in a bowl of ice water while I mix. When I am ready, I pull it out and gently ring out some of the water...but leave them rather wet. I can then slide it on my pan and don't have to mess with trying to pin a wet bake even strip.

Yours sounds like it was an issue with the product. I hope Wilton does the right thing and replaces your set!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:01pm
post #23 of 35

I also pin mine to the pan size when dry. I actually wrap them around, and keep my finger where they need to be pinned, then pull it off and pin it just a hair tighter.

I've also started using the all metal binder clips instead of the T pins. I have some I bought last year because some of my old ones were getting raggedy. I haven't had any problems with them.

Do contact Wilton though, and let them knwo your issues with them.

helsbels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helsbels Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:26pm
post #24 of 35

I was using one a couple of weeks ago that was to long for the pan so I just left the strip to the side. My cake was just about done and I looked in the oven just in time to see the end had slipped onto the element and caught fire! I just stood there like and idiot for a second thinking "Why are there flames in my oven?" lol lesson learned about using the right size.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:36pm
post #25 of 35

If I use one that is too big, I just tuck the extra under the strip. It doesn't affect the baking.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:12am
post #26 of 35

That happened to me also, but I had 2- 10 in. square pans on the rack and the strips made contact with the sides of the oven and well...you know the rest of the story icon_cry.gif

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 7:19pm
post #27 of 35

if it came in contact with the heating element, then I can see it melting or burning, but I've never had a problem with mine and I don't soak them that long. I just run them under water and make sure they are saturated and then run it between my fingers to get out the excess. Better luck next time.

I love my bake even strips, but before I had them I used some old dish towels that I soaked and wrapped around the pans and it worked too.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 7:31pm
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyfull4444

I bought two sets of new Wilton baking strips last year. Bought the big packages with assorted sizes, as my old ones had seen their days. I had to throw the new ones in the trash, because the chemical smell from them ruined my cakes and smelled up my oven so bad, I had to put it through the self clean cycle twice before the smell was gone. It took us days to get the chemical smell out of the house too. It was pretty awful.

The newer strips are not made of the same material as the old ones. They're very shiny and smell bad as soon as you open the package. I figured it was just a "new" smell so washed them a few times before using them. Even that didn't work. Not sure what wilton has added to to the new ones, what the material is now, but I would never buy them again.
I just use old wet folded towel strips now. They're a pain to use (to me) but better than having an oven and house stinking of chemicals.

I had this happen too although it was probably three years ago that I bought them. The smell was so bad that I ended up throwing out cakes so I eventually just threw out the strips. I didn't even think of contacting Wilton! Now I just use rose nails for heating cores and press down the top of the cake when it comes out of the oven. I find that easier anyway!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 7:46pm
post #29 of 35

I cut towels into strips, doubled them and surged the edges. No problem with smells or meltdowns.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 7:49pm
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I always pin mine on tightly, too. Then, I bang the pan on the counter a few times to raise the air bubbles, which always makes the strips move. I have to push them back up.

I put mine on AFTER the banging... I use binder clips and had one fly off into the batter from the banging. Lesson Learned! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%