Hi this is my first time on a Forum. So help! I am wanting to Regal ice a Christening Cake, it is approx 13cm Diameter x 13cm in height. If I roll a circle it will just hang in foulds around the sides and i will have trouble smoothing the sides! Has anyone any suggestions on how to overcome this problem. Chrissy
I wrote an ehow article on this, here you are:
How to cover a cake with sugar paste
1) Knead the correct amount of sugar paste until soft and pliable. Add food colour paste at this point if required.
2) Brush your crumb coated or marzipan covered cake all over with very hot apricot glaze.
3) Lightly dust your clean and dry work surface with icing sugar and begin to roll out your icing, lifting and moving it slightly to avoid sticking - do this regularly to avoid having to use too much icing sugar.
4) When you have rolled out your icing so it is large enough to cover your cake, lift by sliding both hands under the icing, palms facing up so they are supporting as much of it as possible. Quickly but carefully position over the middle of your cake and gently place on top.
5) Smooth the top of your cake with an icing smoother or the palm of your hand in sweeping circular motions.
6) Work your way around the sides of your cake, tucking the folds of sugar paste in and smoothing with your hand as you go, this looks as if its going to be harder than it is. You have to unfold the icing and smooth it onto the cake.
7) With a smooth bladed knife trim the icing from around the bottom of the cake being careful not to get too close to the base of the cake.
With an icing smoother, smooth around the outside of the cake in small circular motions. Trim any excess from the base and smooth some more.
An icing smoother gives a superior finish, if you dont have one you can go over the finished cake with a pad of sugar paste wrapped in cling film.
If you use too much icing sugar it will dry your icing out and cracks may appear when covering.
Cracks may also appear if your icing is too thin.
A rough edge at the base of your cake can easily be hidden with ribbon.
Always use paste food colour, not liquid as this will change the consistency of your icing.
There's some pictures at the end of ntertayneme's tutorial here
Hope that helps
thanks very much Lindsey