How To Carve

Decorating By heroes Updated 9 Oct 2010 , 7:50pm by jimmers

heroes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heroes Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 8:34am
post #1 of 8

Hi CC'ers I was just wondering if there are any tips you can give me to stop my cake from crumbling when I carve it, I usually bake, cool, refridgerate, doesnt matter what I do it still seems to crumble, thanx all Karen xx

7 replies
helsbels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helsbels Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 10:16am
post #2 of 8

If you don't want to change your cake recipe to something more durable you could always try carving it after freezing it. That is what I like to do when I have a cake that gives me trouble. icon_biggrin.gif

jimmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimmers Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 10:16am
post #3 of 8

I had this issue quite a few times, I changed my recipe and it was awesome for carving. It cuts really smoothly with not many crumbs and is then easy to crumb coat ( I found with the old recipe the painstakingly carved cake would crumble as I coated it!!) I can't vouch for it being great every time as last night was the first time I'd carved this particular recipe, I ended up using it as I'd had a few disasters in the week!! It's a scratch recipe, I know quite a lot of CC'ers use doctored box mixes so let me know if you think it'll suit you. I'd throw it up now but I'm on a 5 min break from my cake so I can do it later if you do want it!!

chocolatestone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatestone Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 10:30am
post #4 of 8

Please post the recipe. I've also been looking for a good recipe for carved cakes.

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 11:41am
post #5 of 8

Freezing really helps, vs. Refrigeration....also, after you finish shaping, put back in frezzer for a few to firm it back up, then make sure you crumb coat it with a very thinned version of your BC, that will help it stay together for final icing/fondant application.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 11:44am
post #6 of 8

also, what are you using to cut it? sometimes just changing the type of knife will minimize the crumbs.

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 12:29pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

also, what are you using to cut it? sometimes just changing the type of knife will minimize the crumbs.

That's so true! I was using a long serrated knife and then switched to another long serrated knife that had closer "teeth" then the first one, and my cuts are much smoother!

jimmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimmers Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 7:50pm
post #8 of 8

8 inch round

350g butter
350g caster sugar
350g self raising flour
175g plain flour
6 eggs

cream butter and sugar, add eggs, 1 at a time followed by a tablespoon of flour. fold in remaining flour. bake for 2-2 1/2 hours at 140-150 C
I double line and brown paper the outside of the tin cos it's cooking for so long.

I found that adding about 1/2 teaspoon of glycerine per 3 eggs and placing a bowl of water in the oven keeps it slightly moister although last time I tried it was a little too moist so err on the cautionary side!!

Can't remember where I got this from, I've tried so many so if it's yours, sorry you've not been mentioned X

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%