How To Carve

Decorating By heroes Updated 9 Oct 2010 , 7:50pm by jimmers

heroes Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 8:34am
post #1 of 8

Hi CC'ers I was just wondering if there are any tips you can give me to stop my cake from crumbling when I carve it, I usually bake, cool, refridgerate, doesnt matter what I do it still seems to crumble, thanx all Karen xx

7 replies
helsbels Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 10:16am
post #2 of 8

If you don't want to change your cake recipe to something more durable you could always try carving it after freezing it. That is what I like to do when I have a cake that gives me trouble. icon_biggrin.gif

jimmers Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 10:16am
post #3 of 8

I had this issue quite a few times, I changed my recipe and it was awesome for carving. It cuts really smoothly with not many crumbs and is then easy to crumb coat ( I found with the old recipe the painstakingly carved cake would crumble as I coated it!!) I can't vouch for it being great every time as last night was the first time I'd carved this particular recipe, I ended up using it as I'd had a few disasters in the week!! It's a scratch recipe, I know quite a lot of CC'ers use doctored box mixes so let me know if you think it'll suit you. I'd throw it up now but I'm on a 5 min break from my cake so I can do it later if you do want it!!

chocolatestone Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 10:30am
post #4 of 8

Please post the recipe. I've also been looking for a good recipe for carved cakes.

Bskinne Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 11:41am
post #5 of 8

Freezing really helps, vs. Refrigeration....also, after you finish shaping, put back in frezzer for a few to firm it back up, then make sure you crumb coat it with a very thinned version of your BC, that will help it stay together for final icing/fondant application.

leily Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 11:44am
post #6 of 8

also, what are you using to cut it? sometimes just changing the type of knife will minimize the crumbs.

Bskinne Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 12:29pm
post #7 of 8
Originally Posted by leily

also, what are you using to cut it? sometimes just changing the type of knife will minimize the crumbs.

That's so true! I was using a long serrated knife and then switched to another long serrated knife that had closer "teeth" then the first one, and my cuts are much smoother!

jimmers Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 7:50pm
post #8 of 8

8 inch round

350g butter
350g caster sugar
350g self raising flour
175g plain flour
6 eggs

cream butter and sugar, add eggs, 1 at a time followed by a tablespoon of flour. fold in remaining flour. bake for 2-2 1/2 hours at 140-150 C
I double line and brown paper the outside of the tin cos it's cooking for so long.

I found that adding about 1/2 teaspoon of glycerine per 3 eggs and placing a bowl of water in the oven keeps it slightly moister although last time I tried it was a little too moist so err on the cautionary side!!

Can't remember where I got this from, I've tried so many so if it's yours, sorry you've not been mentioned X

Quote by @%username% on %date%