Need Help With Covering My Board!

Decorating By michellem79 Updated 8 Oct 2010 , 11:50am by kimma1299

michellem79 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 7:09am
post #1 of 7

Hello all! I'm pretty new to cake decorating, so to some this may seem like a silly question, but here it goes. I have always covered my bottom cake boards with the fanci foil that I can grab at my local Michael's or Walmart. I'd like to have a bit more fun with it though and do some cute coverings. My question is, other than fondant, what can I use that is food safe and cute at the same time? I have seen people in other forums talking about using wrapping paper, but doesn't the buttercream make the paper suck up all the grease? I also saw some people said to cover the wrapping paper with Saran Wrap but that seems to me like it would be a huge pain and wouldn't look right. Plus won't that stuff tear when cutting into the cake? Is there anything else I can look for? I know you guys can help! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
kathi2009 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 8:21am
post #2 of 7

I cover my boards with wrapping paper or tissue paper, depending on the look I want. Then cover them with food grade shrink wrap (order on line thru U-line)

mcaulir Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 10:06am
post #3 of 7

You can cover with whatever you like, then have your cake on a board. I do mine with wrapping paper, then clear contact (sticky backed plastic), then have the cake on a board.

ClassyCat Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 10:31am
post #4 of 7

I just covered my first cake board with something other than fanci foil. I used a sheet of lavender 12x12" scrapbook paper and after cutting the edges in and taping under, I covered with Cling Wrap (Saran). I just made sure to not make the piece too big, and pulled in tight. After taping it with pieces of packing tape under the board, it looked great! It gave the paper a glossy shine.

Also, my cake had another cake board underneath it cut to size (8 inch cake with an 8 inch board under). That way, the cake never touches the Cling Wrap. My suggestion is to try out a few different methods. You'll find what works best for you!! thumbs_up.gif

PattyT Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 11:08am
post #5 of 7

There have been many threads and suggestions discussing this topic. You can go to the forums tab, then select search from the left end of the dark purple line. In the search line type the words, cake board. To minimize the initial results, you can check on the Select All Words button, and the Search Topic Titles button. This gave me 747 results.

If you don't get what you need, then uncheck these buttons to widen the search.

This should give you lots of suggestions and advice on the many creative ways to cover boards.

HTH

kimma1299 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 11:48am
post #6 of 7

I read somewhereon here this week that another cc'r covers her board in scapbook paper and then with food safe decopodge. It looked really cute.

kimma1299 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 11:50am
post #7 of 7

Sorr i was modge podge it is nontoxic and it was on a board. I am going to try this this weekend/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%