Suger Cookies?? Help Please!

Baking By lovedecorating Updated 8 Oct 2010 , 12:02pm by bonniebakes

lovedecorating Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 1:23am
post #1 of 3

I made some suger cookies covered in fondant and decorated with boughten buttercream icing. What is the longest these cookies will last and what is the best way to take them on a 5 hour car trip? Is the best way to keep them fresh in individual bags? Will they get soggy if sealed up in the plastic bags? Sorry for so many questions but I've never done this before. I vollunteered to make cookies for sister-in-laws baby shower. A little more work than I thought. icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
Zamode Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 3:56am
post #2 of 3

The fondant should keep them soft for close to a week but I think 3-5 days is the max for most cookies. Not sure about the buttercream, sounds like it would be sticking to the bag. Use the biggest or as many airtight containers as you can bring, my opinion. . . .good luck

bonniebakes Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 12:02pm
post #3 of 3

that's a tough one, as a lot depends on your recipe and how you personally feel about freshness....

I use a slightly modified version of the NFSC recipe, and I go by the "5-day rule" for freshness. I like to have the cookies delivered (and hopefully eaten) within 5 days after I bake the dough. I know they will be OK to eat longer than that (and I know people do - my sister-in-law just ate some at least 2 weeks old), but I think after 5 days they start to loose some of the freshness and quality.

As for the icing, I use RI mostly, and it can keep longer than butter cream. For butter cream, I wouldn't want more than 3 days to go by, I don't think....

Here is a previous threads on the topic, but I'm sure there are more with helpful information in the cookie forum, if you want to do a search.

freshness
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-660400-fresh.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%