I Dare You To Move

Decorating By Bubbl3h3ad Updated 8 Oct 2010 , 12:47am by noahsmummy

Bubbl3h3ad Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 11:22pm
post #1 of 7

My group from church is having a retreat and they want me to do a cake representing the theme. I have no idea what to do! The theme is the "Dare you to move" song by Switchfoot. I have put part of the lyrics below. It is about (as far as I know) getting up again when you make a really bad mistake that knocks you down. Part of the lyrics say "lift yourself up off the floor" so I thought about making a cake that looks like a wooden floor (like some of those made for Toy Story) but then, what do I put on the floor? It's about getting up, not staying down! I really need help! HELP!

I dare you to move
I dare you to move
I dare you to lift yourself up off the floor
I dare you to move
I dare you to move
Like today never happened
Today never happened

Maybe redemption has stories to tell
Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell
Where can you run to escape from yourself?
Where you gonna go?
Where you gonna go?
Salvation is here

6 replies
mirda6275 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 7

First, love that song!

Second, how many people does the cake need to feed? Are you thinking tiered cake or sheet cake?

Bubbl3h3ad Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 7

She said it just needs to be small because there will be other sweets and snacks there. I'm thinking of making a 2-layer, 7X11 and then adding some cupcakes....

sunset74 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 12:08am
post #4 of 7

What about doing something that has just some very pretty flowers and then writing on it, "lift yourself up" or "dare you to move"

Or a cake of inspirational words. Like each side could have a word and then the cake on top could say dare you to move.

I have never heard the song before, but maybe listen to the melody and you can get some inspiration from it. Sorry I can't help more.

misha35 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 12:16am
post #5 of 7

[quote="sunset74"]

......Or a cake of inspirational words. Like each side could have a word and then the cake on top could say dare you to move.

I like this idea, with the words from the song - redemption, forgiveness,
Salvation

good luck

noahsmummy Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 12:46am
post #6 of 7

first off; i too love that song, im not religious and it still gives me shivers.

i think look a bit beyond what the lyrics are straight out saying. its such a strong and inspirational song that can be interpreted many different ways.

i like the idea of putting strings of the lyrics on the cake, find the ones that you think are moist powerful, or the ones that gives you the shivers. For this song, i would also probably stay away from pastel colours and dainty things; the song is powerful and therefore i would think bold colours should be used. if you are making for a church, you could possibly have the cross, or other religious token, chalice etc, and then maybe have a scroll going acorss it, or write on it "salvation is here" as that is probably the most direct link to religion in this song.

noahsmummy Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 12:47am
post #7 of 7

oh! just thought if you still want the floor incorporated, you could cover the cake in "floor" and then have your religious token standing up, just cut out of gumpaste. so thats kinda powerful symbolism there to.. i think? or am i just rambling now..lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%