Is The Price Right....wrong?

Decorating By mookamoo Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 6:30pm by mookamoo

mookamoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mookamoo Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 8

Have not quoted this yet...does this sound right?(too much?) cake link on next line

http://gallery.me.com/jamiepilgrim#100135

Hummingbird cake flavor : contains chopped pecans, crushed pineapple, and mashed bananas that are filled and frosted with cream cheese icing.
100 servings+dummy tier for height:
$4.50/serving for fondant covered cake
50c upgrade per slice for cream cheese
50c upgrade per slice for banana, pineapple, pecans
=5.50 per slice
+
$65 for gumpaste flower and petal work
$15 for dummy tier on bottom

Cake= $630.00
Does this sound correct?
Thank you,
Jamie

7 replies
cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 8

Yup...the math looks correct to me!

QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 8

The price per serving for the cake sounds good to me, but my question is why are you only charging $15 for the dummy tier? It takes just as much time to decorate styrofoam as it does cake. I personally charge 80% of the cake price for dummies. So, if my basic fondant price is $4.50 per serving, I'd charge 80% of that - or $3.60 per serving - for a dummy tier. That would be the only part that I would change.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfSweets

The price per serving for the cake sounds good to me, but my question is why are you only charging $15 for the dummy tier? It takes just as much time to decorate styrofoam as it does cake. I personally charge 80% of the cake price for dummies. So, if my basic fondant price is $4.50 per serving, I'd charge 80% of that - or $3.60 per serving - for a dummy tier. That would be the only part that I would change.

I totally agree with this, 15$ for a dummy sounsd VERY cheap, would you even cover material with that? and then all the time it takes to decorate?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 6:16pm
post #5 of 8

Cake part is a bit high for me. I don't have all those upgrades.

But the dummy tier is crazy cheap. 80% rule, please.

mookamoo Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 8

hi, thank you for the tips! I am still not comfortable with my pricing, and no one in my area will tell you their pricing. I am not trying to steal their pricing, but just get an idea for what to charge in the area. At the bottom is what Ive been able to get locally for pricing. "Just FYI"
Thank you for help with the dummy tier. I have never priced one before.
I thought it may be cheap.
Leah_s...Do you charge the same for flavors that cost you more? How do you work that into your cost? Just curious.
Thank you everyone for your input!!!!!!!!

I am trying to be fair, but not put myself out of business.

One place quoted me $200 for an 8" and 6" 2 tiered cake covered in white fondant..This includes no decorations.

below is another local pricing example...
For a sheet cake (Party Size 60 ppl) with Fondant Icing would run around $56.00 for sheet cake, then $50.00 for icing, around $60.00 for delivery.

For example a square cake (7 square and 11 square) to look like presents stack with Fondant Icing would be $165.00 for Cake and Icing then if you wanted to add a bow it would be another $30.00 plus around $60.00 for delivery.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 8

I've found that over the long run, the few people who choose pricier flavors are more than equaled out by the masses that choose white cake and chocolate cake. in the end it all works out. And customers love the simple pricing.

One price.
No extra charge for premium flavors.
No extra charge for fillings. (I gotta put something in there anyway.)
No extra charge for changing flavors every tier. (I encourage it.)

mookamoo Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:30pm
post #8 of 8

thanks for the advice!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%