How Would I Go About Attaching A Flower To The Edge Of A ...

Decorating By luvbuttercream Updated 8 Oct 2010 , 1:35am by luvbuttercream

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 10

cake... LOL. I made this cake yesterday and I really liked how it turned out I put the flower on the edge but a few hours later it had started to slide. I am curious if there is a trick to doing this? I have seen many cakes that are done like that and I love the look. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1826620

9 replies
Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 10

What about using a toothpick (or two, that's a big dahlia) to keep it in place?

Love your flower, I have been wanting to try this one, dahlias are one of my top 5 faves. Was it fairly strait forward?

luvbuttercream Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herekittykitty

What about using a toothpick (or two, that's a big dahlia) to keep it in place?

Love your flower, I have been wanting to try this one, dahlias are one of my top 5 faves. Was it fairly strait forward?

Thank you! I will have to try that although would the toothpick go through the flower? It isn't extremely thick. And yes the flower wasn't difficult at all this was just a first attempt for me and it took maybe 15 mins or so to make. I altered slightly from the tutorial I saw but it turned out good.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 10

I think if you use the toothpick as support and only poke a small portion through the flower (most of it would be in the cake) you should be ok. Maybe put the toothpick in the cake first then place the flower?

Possibly a small dollop of RI or BC at the point where the toothpick goes in?

Oh gosh, now I'm worried my suggestion will ruin your flower... tapedshut.gif

luvbuttercream Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 10

Oh I wouldn't worry about that I have already cut this particular cake I just placed the flower further onto the cake but I was wanting to know for next time because I am sure there will be a next time.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 10

I would use melted chocolate. It is a really good "glue". Where did you find the tutorial on how to make the flower?

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 10:52pm
post #7 of 10

melted chocolate. it's really the only way to go for attaching heavy things to the sides of cakes! do yourself a favor, and tint the chocolate to match your item. That way if you smudge a little, it won't be so noticeable. icon_wink.gif

luvbuttercream Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 11:12pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you both and Normita I found the tutorial under templates in the gallery it was posted by awatterson.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 12:02am
post #9 of 10

When Ron Ben Isreal makes over sized flowers to go on cakes, he cuts away the edge before its covered so theres a flat edge on the cake for it to sit on. He attaches the outer petals of the flower onto the fondant and then places the smaller flower (which is made as usual) onto the outer petals so it looks like one big flower.

I know the flower is slightly (alot!) larger than yours but the same principles could apply.

Heres an excellent video!

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1127643669662

luvbuttercream Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 1:35am
post #10 of 10

Great video! Thank you so much LisaPeps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%