What To Do?

Decorating By tripleD Updated 7 Oct 2010 , 9:14pm by Bskinne

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 3

I just opened my shop. I have been selling cakes out of my home for the last 2 years. No problems.
I just sent an order out for a cake. Looked great three layers. dowel rod stable. Customer just called 1 hour later and said the cake fell apart. I never had a cake split like she says. She wants a full refund. I know I dowel rodded it very well. what should I do?
How long after a customer takes a cake am I resposible?
I don't know if it was her driving/the roads or what. We live in a very rural area. What would you do?

2 replies
SwtCanuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwtCanuck Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 3

I always tell people to have me deliver their cakes. If they don't want to pay for delivery and set up (which is minimal), it is no longer my responsibility once it has left my shop. I once had a guy pick up a cake. I warned him it was heavy but he still dropped it walking into the venue. He called and asked for a replacement (wanted it there within the next 15 minutes!). I said I didn't have cakes just sitting around. He ended up going to Safeway and now when he orders cakes, he gets me to deliver!

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 3

Do you have a contract? The one I use clearly states if you or your representative are picking up the cake, you assume all liability...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%