What Size Cupcake Liner???

Baking By sweetheart6710 Updated 8 Jun 2012 , 7:45pm by smile22

sweetheart6710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart6710 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 17

I know there is a standard cupcake size (grocery store liners), but when I go to cupcake boutiques, they always seem a little taller, plumper.. not jumbo by any means, just standard+ . When I use standard and fill them 2/3 of the way full, they still look so small, so average.

I was recently in a specialty baking store, and they had sleeves of 500 liners in all kinds of different sizes. I decided on the 2 1/4'' bottom, 5 1/2'' circle, and 1 5/8'' side wall. When I baked them, they looked beautiful, but they used so much batter. Almost too much. Usually 1 recipe makes about 24 cupcakes, but using these size liners only made 12.. is that normal?

I would love to know what everyone else uses. Maybe standard liners are what every one else uses, just filled a little more to make them look large?? I just want impressive cupcakes for my sons 2nd birthday. Thanks in advance. Any input will be appreciated.

16 replies
pinkjacs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkjacs Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 17

I have just found the perfect size they are half way between muffin and fairy cake cases and its the perfect amount of cup cake.

My friends and family say the fairy cake size leaves you wanting to eat more than one the muffin size it jut too big the new size is perfect!!

sweetheart6710 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 17

And what size would that be?? And I don't think I know what fairy cake cases are.. the mini cupcakes?

pinkjacs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkjacs Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 9:33am
post #4 of 17

sorry fairy cakes are like mini cup cakes is what we grew up making they have regular icing on them.

My cases are 47.6mm x 31.7mm

PersonalizedCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PersonalizedCupcakes Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 17

I am so glad you asked that question. I usually bake cupcakes for fun, but now I want to do it professionally. I had no idea that there were so many sizes of cupcake liners!

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 17

I'd be interested to know also. Maybe some of you that own cupcake businesses can answer.

sweetheart6710 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 17

I'll have to google the coversions on that one haha. Thanks for the sizes. When I was at the store, they had SOO many to choose from. The ones I bought barely fit in my standard cupcake pan (very snug), and the liner comes out past the top. Just wondering if height is better, or plumpness lol Hope someone can help..

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 8:42pm
post #8 of 17

the standard is the size that most of the grocery/warehouse clubs use, we have the mini, which is maybe 1 bite, right? there is also a MIDI, which is a little bigger, in between mini and standard, then the standard, then jumbo then king size. i saw a pic once that showed the dif and made it easier to see the differences. for the life of me i cant remember where it is! oh well! hope this helps!

ILoveDaffodils Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILoveDaffodils Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 9:15pm
post #9 of 17

I am always searching for cupcake liners - mostly because I like to find pretty or unusual ones. For the most part, what I have found are 4 sizes
Jumbo - 2 1/4 in base with 1 7/8 inch wall
Standard - 2 inch base with 1 1/4 inch wall
"Commercial" mini or midi - 1 1/2 inch bae with 1 inch wall
mini - 1 3/8 inch base with 3/4 inch wall
There are also slight variations on these sizes so I have no idea what is considered standard. Who whould have thought there would be some many different sizes? I bake as a hobby and I have a lot of cupcake requests and the sizes most people ask for are the standard and the commercial mini.

sweetheart6710 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 9:26pm
post #10 of 17

Thanks dah12345. That helps. Every time I go to a cupcake shop, they just seem 'plump', not so much 'standard'.. and I wouldn't call the liners I bought jumbo either. When I think of jumbo, I think if the Wilton muffin/jumbo cupcake pan (6ct). Is it just the amount of batter they fill the liner with? Then when it bakes it bludges out to make it look a little larger then standard?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 9:33pm
post #11 of 17

I think most bakeries tend to bake in muffin pans that are straight edged which gives the whole cupcakes a "larger" more beefed up look to it. Since normally it would taper down to the bottom and theirs don't which makes them appear bigger.

ILoveDaffodils Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILoveDaffodils Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 9:44pm
post #12 of 17

KHalstead - I see what you mean about the pans. Someone gave a mini pan that they said is a professional pan and it has the straight sides you mention and the cupcakes don't have the taper. I love the pan but it is a little bigger than other mini pans I have seen. That is one of the reasons I search so much for cupcake liners. The liners that are 1 1/2 inch base with 1 inch wall fit it the best. They are also a good size to eat. Maybe I need to bake some now. icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:04pm
post #13 of 17

You're making me hungry!

Does anyone have any straight sided pans? If so, where did you get it?? Hard to tell from pics online if they're straight sided or not.

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 5:21pm
post #14 of 17

I have a Cupcake Cafe in Belfast and I only use papers that are 38-40mm tall - to me thats the only way i can get a generous cupcake that you can charge enough for - saying that i was tempted by the zebra papers which are 35 mm tall but these always do look small to me alongside my regular papers.

i buy from Makeawish, Cakes cookies and crafts and Cupcake Style websites which offer a nice range of colours and patterns but tell you exactly the measurements you are buying icon_smile.gif

sadly a lot of the holiday themed and cartooney papers are much to small for me but there are more and more nice patterns in the deep ones coming out icon_smile.gif

SweetDreamsBoutique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreamsBoutique Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 4:40pm
post #15 of 17

you can purchase the commercial pans from a restaurant supply store. most of them have online sites for ordering too.

smile22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smile22 Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 7:45pm
post #16 of 17

so i am looking for the liners you would find in a bakery as well as the midi i found some midi 2 inches but they didnt fit my cupcake pans. i have the wiltons 24 cup mini muffin pan and they were just a little 2 big for it. i used them in my standard cupcake pan but they came out weird looking. i have heard that Chicago metallic makes a 12 cup mini that the midis will fit. i am also looking to get my cupcakes to look like bakery style ones do i need a different cupcake pans. i have the ones you get in a target/walmart but nothing fancy if anyone can link me to some good commercial 12 cup ones. i have seen 24 cup ones but i want 12 cup ones. and boxes i cannot find sturdy boxes with the cupcake inserts i get mine from michaels craft store but those more flimsy

smile22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smile22 Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 7:45pm
post #17 of 17

so i am looking for the liners you would find in a bakery as well as the midi i found some midi 2 inches but they didnt fit my cupcake pans. i have the wiltons 24 cup mini muffin pan and they were just a little 2 big for it. i used them in my standard cupcake pan but they came out weird looking. i have heard that Chicago metallic makes a 12 cup mini that the midis will fit. i am also looking to get my cupcakes to look like bakery style ones do i need a different cupcake pans. i have the ones you get in a target/walmart but nothing fancy if anyone can link me to some good commercial 12 cup ones. i have seen 24 cup ones but i want 12 cup ones. and boxes i cannot find sturdy boxes with the cupcake inserts i get mine from michaels craft store but those more flimsy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%