Do You Have To Have A Wonder Mold To Make A Princess Cake?

Decorating By bvwilliams Updated 1 Nov 2010 , 7:49am by hollyml

bvwilliams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bvwilliams Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 13

I have to make a princess barbie birthday cake for a 5 year old in November. I don't want to buy a wonder mold so can I use half of a sports ball pan and stack it on 1 or 2 6" rd. cakes to make the skirt? Or will this make the skirt look funny or too wide? What are other options than using the wonder mold pan? I've never made a Barbie cake before.

Thanks,
Brenda

12 replies
hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 13

The wonder mold pan makes it easier, and it's not that expensive (you can get it at Michael's or JoAnn and use a coupon), but no, you don't have to use it. The half ball should work, or you can bake in an ovenproof bowl, or even a Bundt pan. You just need to do some carving to get the right final shape, is all, because you usually want a sharper slope to the top of the skirt. And yes, stack on top of a round or two; even with the wonder pan that is often a good idea to get the right proportions.

FlamingoLadyKimmie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlamingoLadyKimmie Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 13

Check out ebay for the pan, I found tons of pans I needed on there!

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 13

You can also bake in the Pampered chef glass mixing bowls. The ones with the handles on them. Good luck. I have a doll cake in my photos if you want to see one. I placed another cake underneath it in order to make more servings. icon_smile.gif

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 8:08pm
post #5 of 13

I also used my pampered chef batter bowl - works great

dnrlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrlee Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 13

I used 3 8" rounds and carved then into shape. Not that difficult but I do wish that I had tapered the top a little more.

bvwilliams Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 2:49am
post #7 of 13

Thanks everyone for the great ideas.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 3:14am
post #8 of 13

I used a 6...7....and 8....and it was super easy to carve into the shape you want icon_smile.gif

bvwilliams Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 4:01am
post #9 of 13

Okay, I decided to go ahead and buy the wonder mold pan for the Barbie cake. Since this is my first one, approximately how long does it take to do this kind of cake? I just want to make sure I allow myself a realist amount of time to get it done. Also, I have no idea how to price this cake. I think the Wilton site says it makes 12 servings and I'm going to cover it in fondant--not buttercream.

For those who have made a doll cake before, is this a realistic serving qty. and how should I price it for the labor that will be involved?

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 11:46am
post #10 of 13

I made a doll cake with the wonder mold pan. To be honest, I will never use that pan again. It was a PITA to bake. I ended up baking that darn cake 3 times. 1 doctored box mix is not enough batter so I ended up doubling the batter. Both times the edges were way too brown and hard by the time the middle of the cake was done. I used just one box and stacked it on top of 10" round to get the height. By the time the middle baked the edges weren't too bad when using 1 mix. My customer said that the doll part was a bit dry. icon_sad.gif If I am going to make this again, I think I will use the 3 individual pans and carve. That way I can make sure my cakes are not over baked.

dnrlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrlee Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 12:29pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

I used a 6...7....and 8....and it was super easy to carve into the shape you want icon_smile.gif

I'll have to remember that next time!

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 12:48pm
post #12 of 13

I also do the carving instead....
4( for small waist),6, 8, 10... all depends on how big you need the cake to be and the size of the doll.
icon_smile.gif Jodi

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 7:49am
post #13 of 13

I've used the wonder mold pan a couple of times with no trouble at all in the baking, but I bake from scratch and have only done a dense chocolate, not a white or yellow cake.

How long it takes to make a doll cake really depends on how elaborate you're going to get with the gown and any "base" cake you do with it. I think it's simpler than a lot of carved cakes. But if you're used to doing cakes with straight sides you might have trouble getting the frosting smooth over the curved surface. icon_smile.gif I haven't used fondant on it, but I know someone who did -- as a complete newbie at cake decorating -- and she found it pretty easy to do and got a very nice result for someone who'd never used fondant at all before.

As for servings, it's kind of a weird cake to cut. 12 servings isn't an unrealistic number but you either have to cut the cake horizontally first, and then the top part would be about 4 servings and the bottom 8, or cut rather skinny wedges of the full height.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%