Need A Good Buttercream Recipe

Baking By wiltoncourse Updated 7 Oct 2010 , 8:53pm by sugarprincess

wiltoncourse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiltoncourse Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 3

Hi,

I'm from the UK and I wanted to ask whether anyone has a good buttercream recipe that I can colour. So it doesn't necessarily have to come out white as cream is okay.

Anyway, I have tried buttercream recipes but they don't seem to come out right. Either they are too sweet or just don't taste nice.

If I look in a book and it says 4oz butter, 8oz icing sugar then I freak out as I know that would taste way too sweet.

I have tasted buttercream that was sweet but not too sweet, I just don't know the recipe. Even in shops they aren't too sweet. It's just when we have homemade ones they don't come out as nice.

So I need a recipe that doesn't have alcohol and is practically suitable for vegeterians. This is so all audiences can eat it.

2 replies
hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 3

You may be looking for an "Italian" or "Swiss" meringue buttercream rather than an "American" buttercream. The former are cooked frostings that involve egg whites; the latter is essentially just butter and/or shortening creamed with a lot of powdered sugar.

American or plain buttercream is easier to make and easier to use/decorate with. You can change the flavor a lot by adding different liquids and flavorings (like making it with lemon juice rather than milk and vanilla), but it is definitely going to be quite sweet. The meringue frostings aren't as sweet.

sugarprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarprincess Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 3

Yes, the swiss or italian meringue buttercream icings may be what you are looking for. I personally use italian meringue buttercream most of the time and it is wonderful. It can be flavored with white chocolate, dark chocolate, fruit purees, lemon curd, praline paste, hazelnut paste, etc. Or just pure vanilla extract for a vanilla flavor. I also have added pastry cream as well, so heavenly.

These buttercreams can be colored. But the colors turn out more pastel than dark rich colors. Also because they contain butter they are more susceptable to temperture changes. The italian meringue buttercream is more stable that the swiss meringue buttercream. It freezes very well. When you thaw it, it needs to come back to room temperature and rebeaten, so that you have a velvety smooth texture. Don't try to beat it while it is still cold, because it will curdle.

I personally don't like the american buttercreams because they are way way way too sweet. The only advantage of using the american buttercreams is that they are more stable for warmer temperatures. But there are alot of people who do like them. I guess it is all a matter of personal preference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%