Can Someone Help Me Frost My Cupcakes Pls???

Baking By Jordynsmommy09 Updated 7 Oct 2010 , 6:10pm by trishvanhoozer

Jordynsmommy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jordynsmommy09 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 12

Ok. I've been trying to figure out how to make those amazing big fluffy swirls that you see on shows like Cupcake Wars and in gourmet cupcake stores. I've tried like 6 different frosting recipes and I now have a drawer full of tips, but I still can't get them the way I want. I'm beginning to feel like an idiot because I know its probably the easiest thing in the world to do but yet I cannot for the life of me do it. I've looked every where online and I can't find a You Tube video or anything!!! Can someone please help me??? I need pretty cupcakes for my daughters' 1st b-day party in 2 weeks!

11 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 12

Its not really a taught thing you kinda just have to practice and do it..I'm sure they aren't that bad....Swirl away!!

Jordynsmommy09 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 12

They weren't bad, It just doesn't have the fluffiness i want. I'm trying a new frosting recipe today and hopefully its the 1 I need.

Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 12

2 things. ..Icing recipe helps and good open cupcake tips...I bought several large opening tips and they make a beautiful swirl..A soft fluffy icing recipe is also key..Try WBH icing loacted here in the recipe section..Soft whipped bakery icing....

Jordynsmommy09 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 12

I'm going to have to try that 1 as well. My guess is i'll be practicing a lot over the next 2 weeks! Thank you for the help.

Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 12

Anytime!!!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:27pm
post #7 of 12

There are several tutorials on youtube (just in the case that you haven't viewed them yet.)

jo3d33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo3d33 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 12

I had that problem too. I could never figure out why. Then I bought wilton tip 1a and wallah! Perfect swirls! I dont have any pictures but it works! icon_smile.gif

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:52pm
post #9 of 12

I'm glad you posted this! I need the same help. Thanks everyone for your responses! icon_biggrin.gif

sweetheart6710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart6710 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:55pm
post #10 of 12

You could practice and do this!! It looks so profesh icon_smile.gif

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:56pm
post #11 of 12

Wilton 1M tip is good.

Also don't know how you are practising but this is a good tip.

Just lay out parchment paper, draw round something circular, flip it over so the pen is on the underside and then swirl away. You can scrape the icing back in the bag and do it again. No baking required icon_smile.gif

trishvanhoozer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishvanhoozer Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 6:10pm
post #12 of 12

I use the Wilton tip 1M and I use a whipped frosting

5 Tbsp. All purpose flour
1 Cup Milk

Mix together well (I use a hand blender to get rid of any flour lumps). Cook over medium heat until very thick. Remove from heat, transfer to a glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap, making sure the wrap touches the surfaces of the thickener so it doesn't form a skin.

Let cool to room temperature. Once cool:

1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup shortening (I use Crisco)
1/2 cup butter, or butter flavored shortening
1/2 to 1 tsp flavoring of choice (I use pure vanilla bean powder but you can use vanilla, almond or any flavor)

Whip sugar and shortening/butter with a mixer on high for 3 minutes. Add cooled thickener and whip on high another 5 minutes, scraping down the sides occasionally. Once well mixed, add flavoring and color if desired.

This is my standard go-to recipe for my cupcakes, as well as my usual filling. For my filling, I will fold in crushed oreos, Icing Fruits, fresh fruit, etc. If you add fresh fruits, you have to use a big tip to fill.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%