Does Wbh House Buttercream Crust?

Decorating By dnrlee Updated 2 Jan 2011 , 3:57pm by Auntie_RaRa

ShellBell69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellBell69 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 7:32pm
post #31 of 51

OH yummm. That sounds soooo good! Now you have me wanting to make another batch. I am having a Halloween party next weekend and making cupcakes for that (little kids..5yrs & 3). I may have to play with it too. Be sure and let us know how it works with the powdered flavorings.

Oh..and it made BEAUTIFUL swirls! I have NEVER gotten a swirl to be so pretty. icon_biggrin.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 7:35pm
post #32 of 51

Yes..WBH is a nice icing..many don't like the texture as they say it is greasy but it sure is nice to decorate with and the customers love it...

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 8:17pm
post #33 of 51

I'm going to try this recipe. It sounds so light. I am tired of my BC crusting. I really want one that keeps it shape but it's all crusty when you cut into it! LOL

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 8:20pm
post #34 of 51

This recipe isn't crusty at all so if you are looking for that...this icing won't do that.It is soft and whipped ...no crusting here.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 8:23pm
post #35 of 51

The one I use tastes really great, but it crusts so fast that I some times have a hard time smoothing!

Thanks Kiddie!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 9:39pm
post #36 of 51

I love Whimsical Bakehouse House Buttercream and WBH Kay's Buttercream. I can eat them by the bowlful. And LUCKY ME--I'm taking a cake decorating class on 10/10 and 10/11 with Liv Hansen, one of the authors of the Whimsical Bakehouse books. I can't wait!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 12:37am
post #37 of 51

I made the house buttercream. It is on the notre dame cake in my photos. I used spectrum trans fat free shortening and 1 cup of water. It was extremely light and fluffy. I am not a fan of shortnening based frosting, but i will make it again.

Yep, it was a b i*** to work with. After i frosted the cake and smoothed it, imput the cake in the fridge and let it set up. I then used the hot knife method to get it smooth. Piping with it is another story. I'm glad i chose a simple ball design as anything more intricate would not have worked.

I'm convinced i made this frosting too thin and will try it again with less water. The book suggests you use hi- ratio shortening which because it is emulsified can handle more liquid than regular shortening and one like spectrum for sure. I believe tha tif i use less water i will get a frosting that will not make me feel i was working with air. I am even going to try as low as 1/4 cup just to see what consistency i get.

But oh yes, it is very delicious. It is definitely different in taste than your average crusting frosting. I highly recommend it.

I forgot to add that i did nit detect any more of a greasy taste and in fact way less than a greasy taste than when i use SMBC. This might be the difference between crisco and spectrum. I don't know, but to me the extra price for spectrum is well worth it.

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 1:13am
post #38 of 51

Can you half this? I don't need this much.

cutthecake Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 9:43pm
post #39 of 51

The WBH class was so much fun. We each made a two-tier variation of the cake on the cover of the Fun-To-Make Cakes book. Liv Hansen is a terrific instructor.

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 11:06pm
post #40 of 51

When I make it, I use 1/2 or 3/4 cup of water and high ratio shortening (Alpine). I know the book calls for the whisk attachment, but I like using the paddle. To me the paddle produces a different result....or it could be just my imagination icon_biggrin.gif

LindaF144a Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 12:00am
post #41 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

The WBH class was so much fun. We each made a two-tier variation of the cake on the cover of the Fun-To-Make Cakes book. Liv Hansen is a terrific instructor.

Did you make the house butter cream frosting? In your opinion, what would you say the consistently was like?

cutthecake Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:00pm
post #42 of 51

It's hard to put it into words. It's smooth and silky, and thick enough to hold its shape, but not too thick. It's not at all runny or liquidy. The consistency is sort of like Crisco, but not exactly.
And it's delicious.
For some uses, they mix House and Kaye's Buttercream together.

LindaF144a Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:29pm
post #43 of 51
Quote:

It's hard to put it into words. It's smooth and silky, and thick enough to hold its shape, but not too thick. It's not at all runny or liquidy. The consistency is sort of like Crisco, but not exactly.
And it's delicious.
For some uses, they mix House and Kaye's Buttercream together.

Thanks, you just confirmed what i thought. I did not make this right. Mine was not runny, but there was something not right about it. I'll be making another cake this week and i think i'm going to revisit this frosting recipe, but use less boiling water seeing how i am not using hi-ratio shortening.

For some uses, they mix the two? What uses? Carving, piping? I'm going to have to look into these classes. You learned a lot.

cutthecake Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:48pm
post #44 of 51

Linda, where are you located in NY?

Kaye's (which is an Italian Meringue Buttercream) doesn't take color well, and House does, so they combine the two to get better colors. (I think I got that right.) I think the full explanation is in the Fun-to-Make Cakes book--I'll see if I can find it later.

The buttercreams were fluffy--I forgot to put that into the above description. And mousse-y in texture.

cutthecake Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 6:35pm
post #45 of 51

Linda, I am quoting this from the Whimsical Bakehouse website:
" bakehouse secret: We mix equal parts of House and Kayes buttercream when making roses and other flowers. The pure butter content in Kaye's buttercream, when chilled, holds its shape wonderfully and lends stability. The House Buttercream allows you to make a richer and more varied color palette. For best results, mix the colorant into the House Buttercream and then add the Kayes"

Here's the page:
http://www.whimsicalbakehouse.com/bake/bake_detail_house_buttercream.html

I hope that helps.

LindaF144a Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:37am
post #46 of 51
Quote:

Linda, I am quoting this from the Whimsical Bakehouse website:
" bakehouse secret: We mix equal parts of House and Kaye�s buttercream when making roses and other flowers. The pure butter content in Kaye's buttercream, when chilled, holds its shape wonderfully and lends stability. The House Buttercream allows you to make a richer and more varied color palette. For best results, mix the colorant into the House Buttercream and then add the Kaye�s"

Here's the page:
http://www.whimsicalbakehouse.com/bake/bake_detail_house_buttercream.html

I hope that helps.

Yes, it does. Thank you. You know now that I think about it I believe they mention that in the book too.

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 12:29pm
post #47 of 51

Can somebody verify with me, is this icing similar to taste as Rich's Bettercreme? I used to buy this product in California, and since we moved I cannot find it. I have the feeling that the recipe for Bakehouse BC might have a very similar taste. It tasted like cool whip, almost.

Auntie_RaRa Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 2:05pm
post #48 of 51

I use both icings and for me, the taste is somewhat different. While both icings have a light texture to them, I feel the Bettercreme has the lighter "cool whip" texture. I use high ratio shortening to make WBH icing The ingredients are very different. Just my opinion.

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 1:14pm
post #49 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie_RaRa

I use both icings and for me, the taste is somewhat different. While both icings have a light texture to them, I feel the Bettercreme has the lighter "cool whip" texture. I use high ratio shortening to make WBH icing The ingredients are very different. Just my opinion.

Thank you. I was able to do some piping and flowers with the Bettercreme, would you compare the use of WBHC as well?

jemchina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jemchina Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 2:52pm
post #50 of 51

I tried a variation of the WHBC yesterday that came out fantastic.

I had about half a batch left in the fridge, and was making coconut rum cupcakes, which called for a cheese cream icing flavored with Captain Morgan. The recipe for the regular BC called for the same ingredients as the WHBC recipe (just prepared differently), so I really did not want to make another batch when I had some in the fridge. So I took watch I had, creamed a softened bar of cream cheese, added my 3 Tlbs of captain morgan-(coconut flavored), and added about a half cup of the prepared icing, whipped until it seemed incorporated with the icing. Then I added the rest and whipped altogether, with about another cup of powdered sugar(to stiffin a bit, since I added the liqour) It was fantastic, smooth and delicious. The texture was still fluffy just like the WHBC and the cream cheese blended perfectly. I did refrigerate them until the party, to make sure they set up, as I knew they where going to sit out under hot lights.

Auntie_RaRa Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 3:57pm
post #51 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZlatkaT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie_RaRa

Thank you. I was able to do some piping and flowers with the Bettercreme, would you compare the use of WBHC as well?

Yes, I have no problem piping. I don't make very many flowers, but the times I have, I made roses. I let the icing sit in the fridge and firm up for a few minutes and made the roses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%