Cake Too Moist In Center A Problem???

Decorating By glester Updated 7 Oct 2010 , 9:01pm by glester

glester Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 7

OK, I'm doing a 4 tier Red Velvet for this weekend. The 12 in layers came out and after cooling I put one layer in the frig overnight, wrapped in plastic wrap. I have taken it out and had to do very little leveling, but when I did level just a bit off the top, it seems like the center is VERY moist, almost gooey, but not really...hard to explain. When I have made the WASC before, I noticed this cake was REALLY moist and I am using an adapted WASC recipe. Is this just the nature of the WASC? I don't want my cake to appear not "done" in the middle. Opinions??? Thanks...

6 replies
kel58 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 7

Are you sure it was cooked all the way through?

glester Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 7

I believe it is cooked all the way through...but yeah, I'm kinda wondering. It's not "gooey"..its sticky on top and darker looking and denser looking in the middle. I really think it's OK, just wanted to get input from others to see if their WASC recipes are really moist in the middle like this...

FloraFlora Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 7

That still sounds like it is not cooked all the way through to me...

glester Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks...I decided to re-bake. This 12 inch is taking me almost an hour and a half at 325...anyone have to bake that long? I know different stoves are different, maybe just be mine.

TrixieTreats Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 7

Yes! What I do with all of my WASC cakes (and variations) is I use a flower nail in 10 inch cakes and larger or ALL cakes that I am trying to bake 3 inches high. I baked this exact recipe (RV WASC yesterday). On a 12 inch, I even use up to three flower nails for even baking, use wet towels for bake strips and *******I bake for the first 40 minutes at 335, then the rest at 325.************ This gives me nice even cooking, gentle heat, and a VERY level top. I never have a slumped or gummy center with this method. I played around with different techniques, and this is what I came up with, and it is my insurance on any cake for even baking and dome free results. For smaller cakes, I bake at 335 for 25-30 minutes and the rest at 325.

glester Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the info TrixieTreats! Yes I do use flower nails, and i used 3 in this recipe. I always bake at 325, but have not been adjusting. So, this last time, I baked the 12 inch at 325 for about an hour and a half..and it came out great!! Thanks for the help! icon_smile.gif)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%