Chocolate Ganache

Decorating By Cakelayer Updated 7 Oct 2010 , 9:30pm by TrixieTreats

Cakelayer Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 12:47pm
post #1 of 6

I used chocolate ganache under fondant for the first time a few weeks ago but the ganache was a little grainy. Does anyone know why that was? I followed the recipe here on CC. I just didn't like the texture.

5 replies
TexasSugar Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 6

Was the chocolate melted well? Or did you over heat the chocolate?

Cakelayer Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 6

I heated the cream and poured it over the chocolate that had been chopped up and stirred until the chocolate was melted.

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 6

Sometimes, if you let the heavy cream boil too long, it will start to curdle and get like a film on the bottom of the pan. If that gets scraped off into your boiling cream (like while you're stirring), it'll get little chunks in your chocolate... could that be it?

Jess1019 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 9:30pm
post #5 of 6

I heat the cream to a simmer then pur over the chopped chocolate and cover (with out stirring) for about 5 mins. Then i go back and stir really good and let sit over night. Works everytime.

TrixieTreats Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 6

This happened to me once, I have that the graininess has something to do with temperature changes either cold to hot or hot to cold that occurs too quickly. Supposedly you can fix it by re-warming the ganache and inserting an immersion blender into the chocolate and blending well. I have not tried it though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%