Need Advice - Shiny Roses Or Just Powder Dust

Decorating By Jackie_PatriotsFan Updated 8 Oct 2010 , 1:48am by Coral3

Jackie_PatriotsFan Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 12:34pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a red rose bridal shower cake for Saturday. I've already made the large and mini roses in red fondant mixed with gumpaste. I did an experiment and put the corn syrup and voda and some dust on one rose and it looks beautiful like a glass rose. On another rose I just put the red dust on it. Both look nice. These roses will be put all round the bottoms of each tier on wedding white fondant.

So I go for the glass rose look or will that take away from the rose? Or just stick to the simple but elegant dusted roses?

Thanks for your input.

Jackie

5 replies
Karen421 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 12:44pm
post #2 of 6

Wow - that is really a hard question! Both are very pretty, but it really depends on the look you are going for. I like the simple, but elegant, but that just is personal preference. I can't wait to see a picture!

icer101 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 6

hi, even , when you just dust the rose, steam it over a pot of boiling water. this will set the dust and just put a little shine. beautiful results. hth

Elcee Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

hi, even , when you just dust the rose, steam it over a pot of boiling water. this will set the dust and just put a little shine. beautiful results. hth

I agree with icer101. I love how my flowers look when I do this.

artscallion Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 12:00am
post #5 of 6

I dust my roses, steam them, let them dry fully and dust them lightly again. This leaves a slightly shiny under-layer showing through a fresh dry layer on top. It gives them the same velvet look that real roses have.

Coral3 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 1:48am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

I dust my roses, steam them, let them dry fully and dust them lightly again. This leaves a slightly shiny under-layer showing through a fresh dry layer on top. It gives them the same velvet look that real roses have.

Ooh, I think I'll have to try that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%