What Kind Of Filling Do I Use In A German Choc. Cake?

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 7 Oct 2010 , 3:39pm by Mikel79

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 10:15am
post #1 of 7

icon_biggrin.gif

Hi Cakers!

I have a cake request for a German Choc. However, they just want the "cakey" part German Choc. The regular type of icing that goes with German Choc. is not wanted. Just regular BC icing.

With the exception of regular BC, what kind of filling goes nicely with this type of cake. I have used Bavarian Cream in a Choc. cake before but the cake over powered the filling! It turned it from white to brown. You could not even taste the filling.

Suggestions?

Michael

6 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 10:27am
post #2 of 7

I will be making the same thing this Friday for a little girls birthday party. The mother actually wanted the German chocolate filling and I talked her out of using it because of potential nut allergies. The cake is for a friend so I talked her into using Toba Garrets chocolate butter cream. Her recipe is wonderful and uses dutch cocoa and ganache. I have also used a vanilla mousse made out of one pint whipping cream and one small box of instant vanilla pudding. You can use any flavor of pudding. My favorites are vanilla, banana cream, chocolate fudge, cheesecake and white chocolate.

Mikel79 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 12:30pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you for the advice!

Michael

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 7

I made a German chocolate cake for my FIL's birthday and I used the typical coconut, pecan frosting as the filling. It turned out really well. HTH

pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 1:04pm
post #5 of 7

I made a chocolate cake recently with a whipped ganache filling. It was delicious!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 7

To me the pecan coconut icing is what makes it a german chocolate cake, other wise it is just a mellow flavored chocolate cake.

I'd say anything that would to with chocolate cake would go with the german chocolate cake.

Mikel79 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you folks!

I think I am going to do the Choc. Bavarian Cream filling.

=)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%