Making Zebra Print

Decorating By bostonterrierlady Updated 10 Oct 2010 , 3:52am by andreamen1

bostonterrierlady Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:49am
post #1 of 11

To make a zebra print cake do you just cut your stripes freehand or do you use a pattern of some sort? Also can I make them out of fondant ahead of time and keep them soft somehow? Thanks.

10 replies
mychurch Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 6:06am
post #2 of 11

hi,i would just cut random strips, not too sure about doing them ahead of time though, its better just to cut and put them on straight away i would think. there is a video tutorial in two parts on you tube by mysticalmagic, its very easily done. hope this helps.

icer101 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 6:26am
post #3 of 11

yes, you can make them ahead of time. Put on cake board. Put in freezer bag and store in freezer. Take out the day you need them, let come to room temp. and apply to your cake. I have done fondant deco's this way.hth

mychurch Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 6:29am
post #4 of 11

doesnt fondant go soggy in the freezer?

michel30014 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 11

Yes, you can make them ahead of time. After rolling out my fondant and cutting the zebra stripes, I just put straight into an airtight container without letting them dry. It kept them soft until I was ready to decorate the cake. I never put fondant in the freezer, but thats just me. See the results in my cake!

Hope that helps!
Good luck!

bostonterrierlady Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 1:46am
post #6 of 11

Thank you so much.

Karen421 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 2:07am
post #7 of 11

I like cutting them free hand, but if you wanted to, you could trace a pattern on to wax paper and cut them out. Then put them in a sealed bag or directly on the cake. (I put them directly on the cake)

dguerrant Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 4:04am
post #8 of 11

first i place a sheet of waxed paper sprayed with pam on a cookie sheet, then, i roll out a large sheet of black and use a pizza cutter to cut my wavy strips. once cut, i place them on top of the wax paper. when it's full, i spray the tops with pam and place another sheet of waxed paper on top and fill her up again. Top with a sheet of waxed paper and cover the whole pan with plastic wrap and leave on the counter.

lindseylu8 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 10:38pm
post #9 of 11

I just did a frozen buttercream transfer of zebra stripes and it turned out really well. It would of couse not work on all cakes depending on the size. I used a template and the stripes were smaller than the fondant ones Ive seen-which was the look I was going for. The pic is in my photos.

snazzygem Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 3:38am
post #10 of 11

I just made a zebra cake (in my photos) and I just cut them freehand.

andreamen1 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 3:52am
post #11 of 11

I like to hand paint them one it saves me money(black fondant) and i think it looks better

Quote by @%username% on %date%