Corn Dog Cake?

Decorating By CakeEnvyKS Updated 11 Oct 2010 , 1:09am by CupcakePrincess986

CakeEnvyKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEnvyKS Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 4:10am
post #1 of 7

My friend's husband's birthday is coming up next week. She wants a corn dog cake, because corn dogs are his favorite things in the world. I've figured out the corn dogs themselves - I'm going to bake pound cake tinted brown in loaf pans then carve it to size and put a stick in one end, with a squirt of yellow buttercream mustard.

The problem is it's a big party and the cake needs to feed at least 30 cake fans. I was thinking of using a half sheet as the base with the corn dogs on top. Any ideas on how to integrate the half sheet into the design?

Thank you!

6 replies
decoratingfool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
decoratingfool Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 4:17am
post #2 of 7

Maybe cut the half sheet cake oval so it looks like a platter full of corn dogs??? Just a suggestion....

lauriekailee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauriekailee Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 4:43am
post #3 of 7

I guess you have a few options...you could make a bunch of individual corn dogs for each person....or you could make one big one!

or you could make the corn dog on the sheet cake and add some other "fair ground" goods with it on the cake...popcorn, cotton candy, caramel apple, etc! - or, you could make the bottom cake be the "platter" that all the other corn dogs are on...hope that helps!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 2:30am
post #4 of 7

You could make the sheet cake look like a picnic table top and put the corndog on top of fondant made to look like the wrapper

CakeEnvyKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEnvyKS Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:05am
post #5 of 7

Thanks everyone! I really like those ideas. I had such a block about how to make it work, and you've really helped inspire me! I would love to make individual corn dog cakes, but I have no idea how many people are coming (the hostess doesn't even know, her family tends to just show up). Thank you again!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 5:42am
post #6 of 7

When I imagine a corndog cake, what comes to mind are Twinkies with dowels in them. Williams-Sonoma (or maybe it's NordicWare) sells a multi-cavity Twinkie pan, but they call it "cream boat" I think. Like a cupcake pan, but Twinkie shapes.

Looks like Twinkie also sells a pan: http://cgi.ebay.com/Twinkie-Pan-Cookbook-and-Two-Twinkie-Kid-Holders-/170548021625?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b5744979

CupcakePrincess986 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakePrincess986 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:09am
post #7 of 7

you could make 2 corn dogs. one just laying across regularly and the other kind of slanted on top. and you were going to put that on another regular flat cake as the base? is that what you were going to do? well thats just a suggestion!! good luck!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%