Painting Royal Icing...are There Tricks?

Baking By EvMarie Updated 10 Oct 2010 , 2:52pm by EvMarie

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 9

Hi Everyone...

I wanted to try painting on my cookies now....I thought I'd try a few simple strokes with regard to flowers & leaves. I'm assuming the best way to do this is royal icing....

Are there any tricks? Any preferred brands/types. Gel colors straight, watered down gel colors, airbrush colors?

Also, I'd like to make some for my grandmother in NC. Will these dry & package normally?

Thanks for your time!
Evmarie

8 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 9

You can use royal or fondant, just make sure your royal is completely dry.

I used watered down colors, very lightly. They dried just fine.

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 9

I airbrush with stencils and freehand.
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

EvMarie Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks for your opinions! I guess I'll just give it a whirl....icon_smile.gif

CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 6:28am
post #5 of 9

Good Luck Evmarie, I look forward to hearing how you went. I haven't been game myself except for flowers .

Pipe the outside rim/ line then get a paintbrush and lightly blend that inward. Then you can add another line and do the same toward where you will put the flower centre. I am sure there are better ways and people on here that are very good at it, that might share.

CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 9:21am
post #6 of 9

I just found a tutorial on Karens cookies forum, have a look in there.

it is also a very helpful site.

EvMarie Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 8:34pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks grozzie11. There are so many things to try. I've been getting better gradually at a bunch of things. Maybe if I stick to one technique, I'd have a dramatic improvement and not feel so frustrated....

But...I get bored easily. And, grandma needs some cookies! So, I borrowed some books from my Aunt (she paints beautifully). And I will do some brushed embroidery back up cookies just in case my painting looks like a 2 year old got a hold of it!!!

I love that look when the brushed in royal is painted metallic. I'm not sure who did it here on CC...but I've seen it a couple times. Looks super pretty. My grandma is a lace/victorian type lady for sure. All things girly. One way or another, I'll send her something nice.

Thanks for the Karen's cookie tip too. I printed out a couple of her recipes once upon a time. If I remember...I'll post in this topic...what I come up with. icon_smile.gif

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 9

if you use straight gel colors, it may dry tacky (to the touch, I mean). I suggest mixing it with some clear vanilla or other clear alcohol (I use vodka) to lessen the tackiness when it dries.

EvMarie Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 2:52pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks bonniebakes...I was wondering about that.

I tried gumpaste for the first time a couple weeks ago. I made some beagles & a raccoon....(and a ill-proportioned number topper). I tried to color the gumpaste black for the figures but couldn't get anything darker than a very hunter green. After some frustration I painted the spots/stripes on with straight wilton gel color. And...yup, when I picked up my first beagle...the one I placed on the cake board...I left a finger print. No biggie for that - I just touched it up. But, if I want to ship these cookies, I'd rather they not stick to the cello bag. icon_smile.gif

Maybe I'll bank on the brushed embroidery style cookies for grandma until I get this painting thing down. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%