Heating Core Tip!

Decorating By Debi2 Updated 16 Oct 2010 , 1:16am by leah_s

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 12

I was getting ready to bake 2 12" cakes and I used my flower nail in the center of one (to help bake evenly) and realized I didn't have anything for the second. So, I put on my thinking cap and then suddenly the light came on....I could use the removable core/base from my 6" angel food pan! It worked like a charm. icon_biggrin.gif

Hope this helps someone!

Deb

11 replies
bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 12

WOW! thanks Deb. I almost broke down and bought a heating core. If this works just as well then i'll have to give it a try

Debi2 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 12

You're welcome! Let me know how it works for you icon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 12:59am
post #4 of 12

I've got a few Wilton 3D pans (for example: the bear pan). Every time I see the core to those pans, I wonder if it could be used for a heating core in other pans.

Debi2 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 12:26pm
post #5 of 12

I'm not sure what those cores look like since I don't own any 3-D pans, but as long as they sit level and they are metal, I don't see why you couldn't use them.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 12:51pm
post #6 of 12

Here's another tip.

Turn the heat down. Bake lower and slower. I NEVER use a heating core and I've been baking for 50 years. (Not a typo.) I tried the flower nail thing, and I thought it was just silly.

Debi2 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks leah_s, good to know! How much lower...25 degrees?

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 5:51pm
post #8 of 12

Wow, Debi, that is ingenious thumbs_up.gif
Thank you for the tip!
I am always in awe of how giving everyone on this site is, thanks again!
Cathy

Debi2 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 6:39pm
post #9 of 12

You're very welcome Cathy! I agree...this is the best site ever and the members are what makes it!!!

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 8:10pm
post #10 of 12

i love my heating core - i have two and use them for 10inch cakes and up. if I need an extra one I use a tin can - some cake books i have use these for baking stuff like castle turrets etc so its the same theory - saying that they dont release the sponge quite as easily and you can only use them once but in an emergency they work great.

lowering the temp doesnt work for me - i think it just depends on the receipe - i use lindy smiths receipes and they are 3 inches deep and very dense and tend to burn and dry out on the sides and top before the middle is cooked so for me heating core, foil tent and wet towels take me an extra 5 minutes to prepare but ensure a well risen, moist, evenly baked cake - its just messing about enough to get something that works for you icon_smile.gif

Debi2 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 8:36pm
post #11 of 12

Hadn't heard of using a tin can before. I will keep that in mind if I need an extra one sometime. Thanks!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 1:16am
post #12 of 12

yes at least 25 degrees.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%