Just Got A Cricut Cake! Any Words Of Advice Or Tips?

Decorating By sugarMomma Updated 7 Oct 2010 , 2:00pm by sugarMomma

sugarMomma Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 10:10pm
post #1 of 5

I'm pretty excited to get one, and for those of you familiar with them, any tips you know or wish you knew about using them?

Which accessories should I get next, which are a waste of money?

Thanks for your words of wisdom!

4 replies
Eva2 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 5

I love mine. You have to keep working with it, it takes time but you will get the hang of it.
Make sure you have crisco on your mat. Roll out the fondant or gumpaste, then place on the mat and smooth it down. Put it in the freezer for about 15 min. While it is in the freezer set the cricut up for what you going to cut. When you take the fondant out you want to work fast, it works best when frozen. I keep my speed on slow, it works best for me.
If you look at my photos I did the lettering on the tiki hut cake, Just about everything on the under the sea cake, the Mickey out line on the small Mickey cake and the Mickey on the front of the large Mickey cake.
It really works great, you just have to get the hang of itGood luck and have fun.

sugarMomma Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 5

Is it worth buying the premade Cricut gumpaste sheets, if they are half price?

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 5

I agree with Eva2! I use gumpaste only, it seems to work the best for me. I roll it out to about 1/8" and then I put it on the mat (with a thin layer of shortening), and then roll it directly on the mat until it gets to 1/16". It seems to stick better for me if I roll it out on the mat itself. Put it in the freezer, and then while it's freezing, go thru the book and make notes of what you want to print out, so you can work quick when you take it out and load your mat. I've found that slow speed works for me, just like Eva2, and I use medium pressure.

Good luck and have fun!

sugarMomma Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 2:00pm
post #5 of 5

I'm gonna try it out today, just watched the video it came with. I wish they showed the special function keys in action, it looks pretty overwhelming!

Anybody create a YouTube video yet? I would have never figured out the funky tappits without Tonedna!

Quote by @%username% on %date%