Heavy Mmf - Tearing/stretching

Decorating By KutieKakes Updated 8 Oct 2010 , 1:08am by KutieKakes

KutieKakes Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 7

Am I the only one that has problems with fondant? I've done a few fondant cakes and have had the same problem with each no matter whether it is Satin Ice or MMF. I will cover the cake and bar any tears, it will look good. Then the longer it sits, the heavier it gets and ends up bunching down at the bottom. I will cut it away, but invariably, it will start sagging and stretching - sometimes starting to tear - again. Is there away around this? How do you get the fondant to not weigh down the cake? I had one cake that lost 1" and 1/2 in height because of the fondant. If I roll it thinner, then I can't get it on the cake without tearing. Any help in what I am doing wrong would be appreciated.

6 replies
TrixieTreats Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 7

Just wondering if you are using shortening when you are working with the fondant...the only time I ever have a problem with stretching is when the fondant is greasy. Sometimes with MMF, if there is too much liquid or shortening, this happens. I personally use corn starch with most fondants, and p sugar with MMF. I have never lost height on a finished cake though. The only thing I can think of is that it is too thick. Maybe if you cut the shortening and/or water, you can roll it a bit thinner with more luck with less stretching. Are you microwaving too much maybe when first starting to work with the fondant?

KutieKakes Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 7

Hmmm...Your making me think. I do use shortening. I have found if I don't, then my MMF is very pocky(like elephants skin). And Yes...I also microwave it before I use it, so it is easier to roll out. Hmmm...interesting.

cheatize Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 4:19am
post #4 of 7

Are you letting your cake settle first?

KutieKakes Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 4:32pm
post #5 of 7

How long should I let them settle? I hate to leave cakes out for too long. The fondant cakes are the only cakes I have trouble with. My others seem to settle fine. I actually try to cover them cold...that way the icing doesn't stick too bad to it, if it starts to tear and I have to peel it off. Though, usually, the icing thaws(from the frig, not freezer) pretty fast. How long should it sit out?

Loucinda Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 10:01pm
post #6 of 7

How thick are you rolling your fondant?

KutieKakes Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 1:08am
post #7 of 7

I wouldn't think more than 1/8", because 1/2 the time it tears putting it on. In fact, I don't think I have ever had one not tear. I generally put some pattern over it to cover up the tears. Notice the pattern in the picture. This is the cake that lost over an 1" in settling...I'm assuming the fondant was too heavy...but yet still tore. they picked it up 5 hours before the party, so I have no idea if it lost anymore height after it was picked up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%