Do I Tell Bride What I Think Of Cake Topper?

Decorating By MAMAWOF4 Updated 6 Oct 2010 , 7:50pm by dsilvest

MAMAWOF4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAMAWOF4 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 10

My bride wants a 3 tier pumpkin spice cake with bc (tinted gold) and fall leaves cascading around from top to bottom. Her topper is the Wilton one where the groom appears to be running away and the bride has him by the collar. Do I tell her that I would rather put some chocolate pinecones on top instead of her topper because topper does not match cake at all or do I just grin and bear it because it is HER wedding cake? Any advice? I do not know this woman, she is just a client.

9 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 10

It's her cake, she should have what she wants on top of it. Just take your pictures before the topper goes it.

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

It's her cake, she should have what she wants on top of it. Just take your pictures before the topper goes it.

I agree! (that it doesn't match, and take pictures before it goes on) icon_razz.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 10

Oh heck no, don't tell her what you think of it. I HATE the "love Pinch" topper, but I've put it on several cakes.

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 10

Seems like lots of brides like that topper. icon_rolleyes.gif In situations like yours where it just doesn't "go," I've suggested that we put that topper on the groom's cake (assuming it's not carved), letting that be the "fun" cake while keeping the wedding cake more elegant. A lot of brides have gone for it. But in the end, I agree that it's their cake and they should have what they want on top of it.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 10

I never tell them I don't like it. If I don't I take the picture before placing it on the cake. If I like it then I take the picture after placing it on the cake.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 10

agree, this is their cake. You get paid to do it. be proud and take picture of the whole thing(topper and all). It is fun and what they want and you are a part of it.

KimmyKakes4Me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKakes4Me Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 7:27pm
post #8 of 10

No, you don't ever say anything. You trash it in here with people that feel your pain, take your pic for your website BEFORE the hideous monstrosity is placed on the cake, and they never have to be insulted.

MAMAWOF4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAMAWOF4 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 7:42pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks - you are all right - it is her cake and her day. Pictures will be up next week.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 7:50pm
post #10 of 10

Will the bride let you add some of your decorations to or around the topper to at least tie in the theme and colours? I just did this on ther weekend. The bride wanted the topper with a bride kissing a frog. I added little bits of rust paint (water based) to the bride's dress and to her crown. The bride loved the addition and it tied in with the fall colours on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%