Type Of Frosting

Decorating By kdbohm Updated 7 Oct 2010 , 8:03pm by klangl

kdbohm Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 7

My cousin and I were trying to figure out what kind of frosting this could be. She has a friend from Virginia who is requesting a sweet, but hard frosting on a cake.

The only kind we could think of would be royal icing. Anyone know if it's a different kind or what it is that is common in Virginia????

6 replies
Peanut1027 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 7

You forgot to attach the picture

BakingGirl Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 7

Could it be rolled fondant? The only spreadable frosting that is hard is Royal Icing, unless it is a crusting buttercream she means which goes hard on the surface. Or could it be meringue? Probably best to speak to the friend directly to find out what she means.

brincess_b Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 7

could be ganache. could be super crusted (or just refridgerated) bc.

kdbohm Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 7

We don't have a picture of a cake like that. Her friend said most cakes she's had growing up in Virginia are with a hard, very sweet frosting.

I was thinking either royal icing or a rolled fondant. That's all the information we have!

aswartzw Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 7

I would think crusting BC. If it's fondant, you can ask her if it was chewy but I doubt that's what she "grew up with".

Maybe ganache but I still find that hard to believe.

klangl Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 8:03pm
post #7 of 7

Could it be like a poured fondant or glaze. that would be like what you would put on petit-fours.

Quote by @%username% on %date%