To Board And Dowel Or Not To Board And Dowel.....please Help

Decorating By Donny13 Updated 7 Oct 2010 , 3:13pm by Donny13

Donny13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donny13 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 10

Ok, im sorry but its me again! Im still freeking out about this ladybug cake icon_sad.gif Id feel alot better if you guys would answer this question for me. Ok, must feed 35ppl, i plan on making:

Body of ladybug, bottom 10" round (cut & filled) then topped with a 9" round ball pan, (cut & filled), i belive that if i dont separate these two cakes with a board that it will not be enuff cake for everyone and the cake slices will be way too tall! Question, if i separate with a cake board, do i need to dowel the bottom layer even tho its not 4" high?

Head of ladybug, 6" round cake, cut and filled and i will cut a half moon out and rest it flush up against the body. Question, is it too much cake now?

Just so its clear, they will be able to slice the head, the first tier-half ball part of the cake, remove board then cut up bottom round.

This cake will be covered in fondant, resting on a purple fondant flower with a cake board decorated with painted leaves and trimmed with purple ribbon and wire swirly antennas, how much would you charge for this cake, i will most likely keep it simple and just fill with the butter cream, white in the chocolate part and chocolate in the vanilla part (head).

Thank you i cant wait to hear what you guys have to say!!!!

9 replies
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 10

I'm not sure I understand, are you stacking 2- 10" layers and 2- 9" layers? If so then yes, you need to separate with a cake board and dowel it for support. For every 4" - 6" of cake you need to support the weight. I hope that answers your question! icon_lol.gif

Donny13 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 10

I am baking 1 10" cutting it horizontally and filling then topping it with a 9" ball pan, cutting that horizontally and filling that too. I dont know if im explaining myself correctly??? Lemme know if you need any more info.

Thanx for writing!

Karen421 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 10

Got it!!! You should not need to put a board and dowel in it! When they cut the cake, the pieces should be smaller because there will be more cake. HTH icon_lol.gif [/i]

Karen421 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 10

Try this for serving amounts. There are a lot of other sites out there, this is just the first one I came to under my saved.

http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 6:51pm
post #6 of 10

Sorry, Karen but that site just makes you give away free cake. use the Wilton chart exclusively.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 10

No offense but I use Earlene's too...it gives me a cushion if I'm carving, and also it gives THEM a cushion if they cut badly. Because then I can say "Well the Wilton chart gives you this many servings but I gave you more than that, so I definitely gave you more than enough."

I price well enough that I'm pretty sure I'm getting the same price for any given cake that anyone on here gets...its just my servings are calculated differently.

Donny13 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 7:19pm
post #8 of 10

thank you so much, its alot less intimidating now that i know i dont have to dowel and board the cakes. Now does this mean i have to instruct the customer to cut a circle 2" toward the center of teh cake then make the slices 1/2"? because i think a slice is typically 1W X 2" D right?

Thanx so much for your help!

Karen421 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 1:07am
post #9 of 10

Donny, there is a cutting chart on here that you can print out and give to them. icon_biggrin.gif

Donny13 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 3:13pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you so much Karen, i will look for it icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%